KCL supports plans to make universities exempt from FOI requests

Photo taken by Iian McLauchlan

KCL has welcomed plans for universities to be exempted from the Freedom of Information Act.

Freedom of Information request’s otherwise known as FOIs, allow the general public to request any information held by public authorities. Each year King’s receives over 300 FOI requests about a whole host of issues.

Outlining its position in its response to the governments HE green paper, King’s has said it welcomes the proposal to exempt universities requirement to respond to FOI requests as it “increasingly generate their income from tuition fee income, not classified as public funding”.

The sentiment has been echoed by the Russell Groups director of policy Dr Tim Bradshaw who wrote to FOI commission requesting universities to be exempt from FOI requests.

Second year Philosophy student and Chair of KCL Left Forum Andrew Warren said “universities are a public good and should be transparent and accountable to that public. FOI requests are one way of allowing our institutions to be transparent and democratic.”

Currently most university funding comes from government administered and subsidised student loans given to home students.

The KCL Fossil Free Campaign said: “Without the information gained from an FOI request in August we would have not been able to hold King’s to account on its Ethical Investment Policy. Now students and staff are central to the discussion as to what are permissible companies for King’s to invest in the face of climate change and social injustice.”

Labour says the proposal is part of a plan to stop the public from monitoring how the government spends public money.

Additional Reporting by Areeb Ullah.

Maughan library

Roar can exclusively reveal that Vice-Chancellor Shitij Kapur’s flat within the Maughan Library is 1,800 square feet (167 square meters) and that the university...

Roar Staff Writer Leah Napier-Raikes takes on the UK’s housing crisis, linking it with the rise of the short-term lets and the uptick in...

Julian Assange protest Julian Assange protest

On Tuesday 20 February and Wednesday 21 February, protesters gathered outside the Royal Courts of Justice near King’s College London’s Strand campus, demanding the...

This October, an amendment to its foundational documents means that King’s College London (KCL) is now officially recognised as a university rather than a...

Roar sat down with Professor Frans Berkhout, who was appointed inaugural Assistant Principal for Climate and Sustainability in February 2023. Dr Berkhout discussed King’s College...

The start of the 2023-24 academic year has brought a wealth of News stories to King’s College London (KCL). Here is a selection of...