KCL Students Raise Over £5000 for Charity in Five Hours

KCL ISOC's Just Giving Page

An online campaign to raise money for Syrian orphans has surpassed its target of raising £5000 in five hours.

KCL Students4Syria and KCL ISOC have been raising money to help build a disability rehabilitation centre in the Al-Zataari refugee camp in Jordan.

They are now closer to their overall target of £40,000 after the #20poundchallenge campaign to raise £5000 in five hours was an overwhelming success.

Navid Hossain, KCL ISOC treasurer, said: “The project was quite ambitious so I was extremely surprised at how successful it turned out to be. We are now one step closer to making a real change.”

Students were told to donate £20 and encourage others to do the same by posting a status on Facebook describing what they were grateful for.

After a slow start in the first hour, the donations began to pour in, with Islamic Societies from other universities also participating.

By 12am, the campaign had managed to raise an astounding £5780. The total currently sits at £6630, coming from 234 donations.

You can visit the fundraiser by clicking on this link: https://www.justgiving.com/teams/kclisoc

SHAG Week banner SHAG Week banner