At Roar, we’re always on the prowl for new talent. We would like tenacious, driven contributors who are dedicated to producing the very best work in student journalism.
Roar is more than just a student newspaper. Since 1973, our stories have held both the College and Student Union accountable. We talk about what’s important, debating and analysing real-world issues and interviewing eminent individuals from diverse walks of life.
We are read in 143 different countries and reaches around 30,000 people. We’ve won various national awards, including Student Publication Association Best Publication Nationally, Highly Commended 2018, 2021, 2022 & 2023, Student Publication Association Best Regional Publication 2018 & 2023 and KCLSU Student Media Project of the Year 2023.
Writers can contribute to as many section(s) as they want. Learn about each section here…
- News: The News section writes stories about everything that happens at King’s from a student perspective. You are the go-to source for things students want to know about – whether that’s protests, strikes, or teaching problems.
- Comment/Features: Got an opinion? Great, we want to hear it! The Comment section writes opinion pieces and commentary about both global and local issues. Your articles spark and inform interesting debates.
- Culture: We aim to entertain as well as inform. The Culture section is home to reviews of books, plays, restaurants and movies. Whether you’ve got strong feelings about the British Museum or a hot take about what kind of ice cream best describes King’s students, the Culture section is the place for you. Our comedy/satire subsection, “The King’s Jester”, also runs out of the Culture section.
- Sports: King’s has a huge range of sports societies and events, and we want your help to cover them. Whether you’re a fanatic fan or new to sports journalism, Roar would love to have you.
- Podcast: Roarcast is our main companion podcast. Staff writers from any of the above sections can pitch ideas and how their own episode. Topics can range from politics to sports to film. Express your interest by emailing [email protected].
Begin your application below (click here if form does not appear)…
I’m a first year and haven’t even started at King’s yet, can I apply? Yes, you can!
I’m on study abroad, can I apply? Yes, you can!
I have a one-off pitch as a guest writer, who should I contact about this? We welcome guest writers. If you have an idea, please email [email protected]. Thank you!
How can I learn more about getting involved? Make sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube to receive updates, or email us at [email protected]. Lastly, you can also register your interest in our weekly newsletter here.
I’m an international student, my English isn’t brilliant, can I apply? Yes, we’re more concerned whether our reporters can find stories than whether they can write beautifully though it is definitely an advantage. If you can pass your international language exams, your English will be good enough!
Where is your office located? Our office is in the Media Suite on the 7th Floor of Bush House’s South East Wing.