Museums and Galleries in London To Explore in 2023

Diliff, CC BY-SA 3.0 , via Wikimedia Commons

Staff writer Mina Yasar recommends museums, galleries, and some exhibitions to visit in 2023.

If you live in London, you probably know that you can explore beautiful museums and galleries in this city. Every month, there are new gallery openings, art fairs and exhibitions. 2023 will also be a year full of art; there are a lot of different exhibitions and museums to attend. Here is a list for you to explore.

Tate Britain

If you have never visited Tate Britain, I think you should spend your next free time in this gallery. It is located in Millbank, London, and entry to the gallery is free. Its collection consists of famous artists like Ai Weiwei, Henry Anderton, Francis Bacon, David Hockney, and many more. In Tate Britain’s collection, you can see “A Bigger Splash”, an artwork of David Hockney which dates back to 1967. Annie Swynnerton’s art is also on display on the main floor of the gallery.  Another exhibition to see is Yayoi Kusama’s “Infinity Mirror Rooms” which will run until 28 August 2023. Yayoi Kusama is one of the most influential living artists – her artworks range from paintings to drawings, installation art and much more. It is one of the artist’s largest installations, so I recommend that you should not miss this. You can buy your tickets via Tate’s website, they are booking tickets until 2 April 2023.

If you plan to visit Tate Britain, I also recommend booking a Tate Britain Architecture Tour which has limited dates. You could learn about the architecture of the gallery on 7 January, 4 February and 4 March. It is a good opportunity for people who are interested in  architectural history.

If you don’t have time to visit, don’t worry, Tate has a wonderful website for you to explore their collection virtually.

The Wallace Collection

The Wallace Collection is located on Hertford House, Manchester Square. It was founded in 1897 and the collection consists of approximately 5,500 objects. The collection includes artworks from artists like Titian, Rubens and Velazquez. You have to chance to see a collection ranges from decorative objects to French paintings and Renaissance objects.

If you are interested in decorative arts, I think it is a must-see collection for you. The permanent collection consists of artworks of artists like Jean-Honoré Fragonard, Rembrandt, and my favorite in this collection, Canaletto.

The Wallace Collection also provides tours, talks and seminars and webinars about the history of the art they have. If you like to attend seminars about art history, I think you should attend these.

Natural History Museum

Whether you are interested in science, wildlife photography, dinosaurs or not, you should visit this museum as soon as possible because I think you’ll love it. It is one of London’s most visited museums and it is really beautiful during Christmas and New Year’s time. As an architectural history lover, I loved the building of the museum. It is located in South Kensington and you can book your ticket from the website.

“David Hockney: Bigger and Closer” at The Light Room

My last recommendation is probably my favorite and I am very excited to visit this exhibition in 2023. Whenever there is a Hockney exhibition, I try not to miss it. I love Hockney’s paintings – this could be one of the best exhibitions of 2023. David Hockney’s exhibition will be displayed in the Light Room which is located in King’s Cross. With the help of the King’s Cross’ vast walls and sound system, the visitors will be able to have an immersive experience. The exhibition will be on display between 25 January-23 April 2023. You could book your ticket from the website.

Staff Writer

Students from the KCL International Feminist Society and KCL Palestine Action protest the London Defence Conference taking place on the Strand Campus. Early this...

On 25 April, students from King’s for Change, a member group of grassroots campaign organisation Citizens UK, ushered in over 2,000 civilian attendees to...