Leopard Prints, Smokey Eyes and More: The Mob Wife Aesthetic Explained

a cartoon of a woman looking over her shoulder

Staff Writer Mina Yasar dissects all elements of the new fashion trend of 2024 – the ‘mob wife aesthetic’.

If you use any social media or read fashion magazines, you’ve probably heard the term “mob wife aesthetic” at least a few times lately. In the first days of 2024, this fashion trend drew the attention of many people and it is already common to see outfits inspired by this style. However, for most of us, this is still a new fashion term. Let’s have a look at the trend of 2024.

The ‘mob wife aesthetic’ is known as the complete opposite of the ‘clean girl aesthetic’. The most commonly used colours are black, red, or brown. Animal prints are also essential, especially leopard print. Black mini or midi dresses, black leather shirts and mini skirts are the core of the trend. And when you’re wearing so much black that you feel like you are going to a funeral, then you know you’re doing it right!

If you prefer pants instead of skirts and dresses, you could wear black leather pants. Throw on a faux fur coat or a leather jacket and don’t be afraid to put on a piece of statement jewellery. Say ‘yes’ to multiple gold-coloured necklaces, gold detailed belts and black or leopard print bags. Steer clear of silver accessories but don’t shy away from any gold-coloured multiple jewellery – ranging from necklaces to multiple rings. In terms of footwear, go for black or animal-print boots. If you like high-heeled boots, that’s all the better. Big black sunglasses are also a good idea.

If you feel like you’re wearing too many accessories or printed items, don’t worry – this is what the trend is all about. In contrast to the ‘clean girl’ aesthetic, in the ‘mob wife’ fashion style the more you add accessories, the more you fit the look.

Make-up is also important – smokey eyes, cat eyes, and bold lips especially with red or brown lipstick fit the aesthetic. Your nails also add to the look – a French manicure or red nails are best. This fashion trend which became popular via TikTok could be seen as very maximalist when compared to previous fashion trends – like quiet luxury, for example, which is a way more minimalistic style.

But this trend also has many vintage elements in it. Most people use the fur coats of their mothers, older sisters or their grandmothers to create these looks. People also like to wear sunglasses from the 2010s, and their mum’s jewellery passed on from the 1980s. The trend is maximalist in the way that it has many clothing elements in most of its outfits, many layers are used together and, at the same time, it is a good opportunity to showcase vintage pieces in your outfits. Some of the movie characters who pioneered this fashion style are Talia Shire as Connie Corleone in The Godfather and Edie Falco as Carmela Soprano in The Sopranos.

If you want to get inspiration, I suggest you check out most of the fashion sites’ social media accounts. And when you scroll on your phone, you will probably read something like this: “The clean girl is out and the mob wife era is in”.

Staff Writer

Gareth Southgate took the England team to Euros Final 3 years ago at Wembely.

Comment Editor Ruth Otim opens the mini-series project on guerrilla journalism, covering characteristics of the alternative news form. The news stories that are not...

Golden light falls in shards around the silhouettes of Standing at the Sky's Edge cast members, each of which are singing at a microphone. Golden light falls in shards around the silhouettes of Standing at the Sky's Edge cast members, each of which are singing at a microphone.

King's Scientists at the Royal Society Summer Exhibition 2024. Image courtesy of Alena Lastovko. King's Scientists at the Royal Society Summer Exhibition 2024. Image courtesy of Alena Lastovko.

KCLSU logo KCLSU logo

Staff Writer Cruz Glynka reviews City Splash, following his list of recommendations for London music festivals you shouldn’t miss in the summer of 2024....

Staff writer Salomé Ichay explores the significant impact of the US TikTok ban on the upcoming US elections and US-China relations. On the 24th...

Staff writer Claire Ducharme examines the recent French fast fashion bill and its implications on sustainability in the industry. On 14 March 2024, France’s...