Three London Exhibitions To Visit This February

Staff Writer Mina Yasar recommends a London tour for art lovers to embark on this February.

What could be more pleasant than spending a cold winter day wandering around the city’s galleries? London is always brimming with new and fascinating exhibitions. Let’s look at some exhibitions that you should explore this February.

The Hayward Gallery, Southbank Centre
Hayward Gallery | When Forms Come Alive | 7 Feb – 6 May

When Forms Come Alive is a strong choice for art lovers, especially those interested in sculpture. Hayward Gallery, located in the Southbank Centre, is one of the most intriguing contemporary art spaces in London. The building of the Hayward Gallery is also particularly compelling, as there have been ongoing debates about the aesthetics of this architectural piece; its Brutalist architectural style either adored or despised by the visitors. In the When Forms Come Alive exhibition, one comes across various sculptures spanning over 60 years. The exhibition includes 21 artists’ works and some of those artists are Ruth Asawa, Tara Donovan, Ernesto Neto, Franz West and many more. For more detailed information about exhibition visiting hours, you could check the website of the Southbank Centre.

The Saatchi Gallery (Duke Of York Barracks), Chelsea, London.
Saatchi Gallery | Burtynsky: Extraction/ Abstraction | 14 Feb – 6 May

Famous photographic artist Edward Burtynsky’s new exhibition can be viewed at Saatchi Gallery. As stated on the website of Saatchi Gallery, Edward Burtynsky’s new exhibition artworks show us “the impact of human industry on the planet.” If you are interested in the influence of some behaviours of industries have had on nature and sustainability, this exhibition would be one to draw your attention. The curator of the exhibition is Marc Mayer and this exhibition includes art in many divergent mediums, such as 94 large photographs of artists together with 13 murals and an augmented reality experience. For detailed information, please check out Saatchi Gallery’s website.

Somerset House
Somerset House | Cute | 25 Jan – 14 Apr

Our very own Somerset House is one of my favourite places and the new exhibition “Cute” seems very interesting. The exhibition is located in Embankment Galleries in the South Wing. Contemporary artworks are included in the exhibition. Some of the artists whose works are included in the exhibition are Mark Leckey, Ed Fornieles, Julien Ceccaldi, and many more, as well as some Somerset House Studios Artists. The exhibition makes us think about the “cute culture” via fashion, toys, video games, visual arts and more. As stated in the Somerset House’s website; “It will seek to unravel cuteness’ emotive charge, revealing its extraordinary and complex power and potential. ” So if you are interested in arts and popular culture, this is an exhibition worth visiting. For detailed information about the exhibition visit the Somerset House website.

Staff Writer

Jacob Anderson speaking at the 2019 San Diego Comic Con International, for "Game of Thrones", at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, California. Jacob Anderson is a lead in Interview with a Vampire.

Staff Writer Mohana Mitra examines the successes and unanswered questions of ‘Interview with a Vampire’ Part II. (This article contains spoilers) Immortality beats a...