University of London Art Societies’ Charity Exhibition

Photograph from KCL Art Society's instagram page

Staff writer Mina Yasar writes about the charity exhibition for the Turkey and Syria Earthquake Appeal hosted by King’s College London, University College London, and Queen Mary University of London art societies.

The KCL Art Society are known for their various events and exhibitions. On 28 and 29 March, there was a collaborative charity exhibition of KCL Art Society, QMUL and UCL Art Societies; “The UoL Wide Exhibition: Beauty”. The central theme of the exhibition was the “notion of beauty”, and artists were able to interpret the theme in whatever various ways best suited them. All proceeds will be going to the DEC Turkey-Syria Earthquake Appeal. People could also visit without participating in the auction.

Nearly fifty artists were included in this exhibition. Additionally, the artists described their artworks and their background in presentation slides to share their statements with visitors and expand on their artworks.

Different kinds of artworks were exhibited; from digital painting, drawing, acrylics and watercolour and many more. The participants could donate large percentages or all of their proceeds in order to help people who were affected by the earthquake in Turkey and Syria.

If you are interested in art, the KCL Art society organises many events such as exhibitions, museum visits, painting, and workshops. They have also launched a virtual gallery that includes artworks with different mediums.

I think also if you are an artist and hesitate to share your art in exhibitions, it could be a good opportunity to see other artists’ artwork to think about the different ways of interpreting the notion of beauty. If you by any chance lack confidence in your artwork, the art societies have a place for your artworks and viewers will enjoy it – so keep an eye out for future exhibitions and submit to the virtual gallery, and explore the artworks that are already up. If you are interested in more Art society events and future exhibitions, check out the social media pages of KCL, QMUL AND UCL Art Societies.

Staff Writer