LONDON VARSITY 2022- Sunday 20th March Review

Basketball (Men’s)

Arguably the best event of the Varsity series so far in this one. The tension was absolutely killing and it was so satisfying to see King’s take the W in a ‘swing’ event, and one the team have been so close in in the past. They deserve it so much.

Despite being 66-57 with 6 minutes left, they allowed a late UCL surge to creep in, where they took the lead with the just moments left. However, a dramatic three pointer on the buzzer for King’s secured a narrow win and absolute scenes in the crowd.

Our biggest win so far.

Full time score: 81-80

Basketball (Women’s)

A much improved performance upon last year for King’s in this one, but unfortunately again UCL’s quality told. However, continue this trend and there is certainly optimism for the future.

Full time score: 35-47

Medics Netball

After edging out the first to quarters to get to a 14-12 lead, quality told from then on in as they raced to a 26-19 lead in the 3rd quarter. Spurred on by a brilliant following, they contined this into the final quarter to retain their title.

Full time score: 35-28

KCL Netball

Unfortunately KCL were simply outclassed in this one.

Full time score: 26-57

Badminton

Another excellent performance from the King’s team across all events in this one to give us an emphatic win. However, the highlight of this one was surely the shuttlecock-shaped biscuits on offer at the event. Massive.

Full time score: 8-3

Weightlifting/powerlifting

Despite a 120kg clean-and-jerk from their captain, and personal best performances from much of the women’s team, King’s couldn’t do enough to hold off a quality UCL performance.

Full time score: 6-10

Medics Football (Women’s)

Another rout for GKTWFC! Some superb finishes among them, best of all a lob from outside the box. Battered them that much that the RUMS team were seen having some tinnies at half time. Emphatic. Again. And offered great support during the men’s game too.

Full time score: 12-0

Medics Football (Men’s)

Full time score: 3-0

Taekwondo

Unfortunately it was defeat for the Strandies in this one. However, they seemed in buoyant spirits after the match, determined to claim back their title next year.

Full time score: 1-4

DAY SCORE: 5-4

SCORE AT END OF DAY: 14-10 KING’S- WE NEED ONE MORE WIN ON THE FINAL DAY TO MAKE HISTORY!!!!!!