Notice: fwrite(): Write of 1275 bytes failed with errno=122 Disk quota exceeded in /home/roarnews/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wordfence/vendor/wordfence/wf-waf/src/lib/storage/file.php on line 42
LONDON VARSITY 2022- Medics Men's Football Review - Roar News

LONDON VARSITY 2022- Medics Men’s Football Review

Last year’s GKT took back the title that we deserve, albeit in more subdued fashion. Despite being in early June due to Covid issues, the game took place on the Friday, where after days of glorious weather suddenly grey, rainy clouds came off South London. Cue Griff calling off the game (shock). At very late notice, the match was moved onto an astro in Greenwich, meaning no real crowd could watch. After a poor quality game ended 1-1, GT won on pens after a massive opening shootout save from Johannes Jansen. Similarly due to Covid restraints, no proper after party could take place either.

So, it was necessary that this year we should win it in a more proper fashion. And the lads did just that.

Brimming with confidence due to maximum availability, an obscenely stacked squad and their two previous comfortable victories (3-0 both times) over RUMS 1s this season, they came out to a fittingly good atmosphere created by the ultras.

The lads had a fairly shakey opening five minutes- unable to get a foothold of the ball and centre back Leander Hatzi nearly turning a cross into his own net. But the 1s all season have always had a reliable outlet with Morgan up front. So, cue long ball, Morgan outmuscling the left back and bringing it down, laying it off for Anas, whose unclear cutback found its way to the onrushing Archie Harker on the edge of the box who swooped home. Cue limbs in the stand. And what a lovely moment for him after having a year out of football due to an ACL injury. Few players could have deserved it more.

The rest of half was comfortable- a lot of easy recycling of the ball, facilitated by class performances from left back Spencer Leflon, captain Ant in the midfield and his sitting partner Josh Jeans John.

At half-time, due to rolling subs, 4 changes were made, which seemed odd given that GT were in control of the match but it was still only a one-goal margin. However, the subs instantly proved a masterstroke (with coach Cockerz not making the game, these weremade by captain Ant!) after a shot from Artem (one sub) was parried in to the feet of Fahd (another sub) to tap home.

It was soon after 3-0 with the best move of the game. A switch out to Anas on the right was brought down, before taking the full back to the byline, cutting in onto his left and rifling a swervy shot past the keeper. Huge limbs. Best goal scored in GT Varsity.

The lads comfortably saw out the game, with everyone putting in a classy performance including super-sub Sean House Wynn.

At full-time, we were all on the pitch. We’d won Varsity in supreme fashion, beating RUMS 3-0 (again).The 1s continue to be the best team in London and conquer all before them this season, adding a second honour to their 2022 trophy cabinet.

The finest football club in the world deserve no less.