King’s Sport Update: KCL Fencing Team 14/11-05/12/2022

KCL Fencing Club Secretary Liam Danthanarayana reports on one of the most successful starts to a season in the KCL Fencing Club’s history

Week commencing November 14th:

The Women’s 1st team took on the Women’s 2nd team in their second league match of the season between them. The Women’s 1st took the victory, winning 135-65.

KCL Women Fencers

Meanwhile, the Men’s 1st Team had their second game of the season beating Bath.

The Men’s 2nd Team hosted the league leaders of the South Eastern League 1, Queen Mary’s 1s. They lost 135-71.

Week commencing November 21st:

The Men’s 2nd team took a trip to Nottingham to fence in the first round of the Men’s National Trophy. Unfortunately, they lost to Nottingham’s Epee Team (one of the three disciplines in modern fencing alongside Foil and Sabre. All three are different types of sword). They did however perform well in the Foil and took victory in the Sabre, 45-32, where they were led by captain, Ethan.

Mens 2nd

The Men’s 1st had a weekend full of matches in Oxford, where they had to face off against Oxford twice, Cambridge, UCL and Imperial.

They took emphatic wins in both their matches against Oxford, Cambridge and UCL. But unfortunately they lost 119-115 against Imperial.

Despite the loss, they remain top of the Premier south league. With only 3 games remaining of their season, hopes are looking high for the sports club to take their first ever Premier title.

Mens 1s

Week commencing November 28th:

Women’s 1s thrashed Imperial 2s 135-43 in their second meeting of the season. Women’s 1s just like the Men’s 1s stay top of their league with 3 games left in their season.

Womens 1s

Women’s 2nd team take their second win of the season beating Essex 1’s again 125-110.

Womens 2s

Men’s 2s won by walkover against Kent 2s.

Week commencing December 5th:

In the first round of the Women’s National Trophy Cup, the Women’s 1s thrashed Warwick 1s 116-49. Taking victory in all three weapon categories. The team will face Exeter 1s away from home on February 1st in the second round of the National Trophy Cup.

Womens 1s

Unfortunately, the Women’s 2s took a tough loss to Imperial 2s 132-119 in the first round of the same competition. They will return stronger next season.

Overall, our club’s teams have had a great set of results this semester. It has definitely been up there as one of the most successful starts to a season in the club’s history. We take a break from matches and are back in action in the new year, with matches starting from January 25th!

All our teams and competitions info can be found here

Liam Danthanarayana