King’s Sports Update: Women’s Rugby takes on last season’s champions

KCLWRFC and Sussex womens rugby- post match

Welcome to the King’s Sports Update, where we get the latest news, scores and analysis directly from members of KCL sports teams. Today, Guest Writer Anouk Asher writes about KCL Women’s Rugby Team first outing of the season against last season’s league winners Sussex

This Wednesday KCL Women’s Rugby played in their first away game of the season against Sussex Women’s first team. It was a tough game, with a final score of 52-0 to Sussex. Unfortunately, the score line doesn’t reflect all the hard work and effort put in on the pitch, with KCL putting up a consistently strong defence against such a strong side despite low numbers and some serious injuries taking out key players within the first half. For many of the players on the team this was their first-time representing Kings, and for some, their first-time playing rugby since joining the sport in September.

Catherine Davies in attack for KCLWRFC against Sussex defence

Sussex had a strong start in the first half of the game, making some breakthrough tries finding weak spots in the Kings line, but by the second half KCLs defence was much stronger, and we saw some strong attacking phases from both sides. The oppositions chosen player of the match was Marline Luyeye, for flawless defence and ball carrying. KCLs chosen player of the match was Kiana Hudaya, who after only joining the team in September stepped up to the play when an injury took out the scrum half. Despite a disappointing final score, Kings put in an impressive shift against last year’s league winners, and as new players gain more experience, performance will only improve as the season continues. 

Molly Smyth taking an attacking opportunity

Next weeks fixtures: Brunel-Home (BUCS) 2nd November, SOAS-Home (LUSL) 6th November.

SHAG Week banner

Sports Writer, Will Black, provides an insight into the current controversy and allegations surrounding the Red Bull team boss. On Friday, Christian Horner, team...

Writer Saoirse Byrne comments on the early success of the KCL Women’s Rugby as they kicked off the new season with a fantastic result...

Sports Writer Kiaan Davids provides an in -depth roundup of the weekend’s UFC action. Going into UFC 293, the narrative was clear in regards...

Round 3 of the London University Bouldering Event (LUBE) kicked off at Arch Acton on February 4th, with 106 climbers from 13 universities across...