A Close Game for KCL Womens Rugby v Surrey

KCLWRFC V Surrey postmatch

Anouk Asher reports on KCL Womens Rugby’s latest match vs Surrey

It was a close one this BUCS Wednesday for KCL Women’s Rugby. Playing in their second away game of the season against Surrey Women’s 1’s, with a final score of 17-24.

KCLWRFC V Surrey minute silence

Before the game started both teams stood for a minute silence, this game being the closest to November 11ths Remembrance Day. Then, with an explosive start, Kings took the first try within the first 5 minutes. With consistent forward attacking pods and Renedi Luyeye taking it over the line, then team captain Catherine Davies scoring the conversion. Surrey fought back with two tries, but before the end of the second half Kings scored another try, this time Lyana Syed a new player for Kings at 10, took it over the line after finding a gap in Surreys consistently strong defence. 

After a long half time due to serious injury, Surrey scored the first two tries of the second half, taking the score to 12-24 after wearing down Kings defences with forward attacking pods. With ten minutes left of the game, Kings were still fighting, and managed one more try using a similar strategy to their first try of the game, with Renedi Luyeye taking it over the line once again after multiple forward attacking pods. Unfortunately, that final push wasn’t enough to even out the score line, and the whistle blew at 17-24 and Surrey taking the win. 

The oppositions player of the match was Maddie Bonner at 11, who’s speed and endurance throughout the game kept Surrey on their toes. Kings’s chosen forward of the match was Olly Griggs, making her debut as Flanker and performing exceptionally. Finally, the chosen back of the match was Elina Woolever, also making her debut on the pitch and proving herself as a new player to be excited about.

Although not the ideal final score, Kings can be proud of their performance against such a strong side. The first few weeks of fixtures have been tough ones this year, however as we are coming to the end of the term KCLWRFC will have the chance to come back better. Next week’s fixtures are looking exciting, with Wednesday’s BUCS game against Chichester at home, and Sunday’s LUSL fixture against the Royal Veterinary College away. 

Spectators are always welcome at home games and Wednesday’s Chichester game won’t be one to miss. Kick-off will be at 2:00 at the Kings New Malden sports ground and the KCL Lions will be on the side lines cheering our girls on.

KCLWRFC v surrey half-time

Jacob Anderson speaking at the 2019 San Diego Comic Con International, for "Game of Thrones", at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, California. Jacob Anderson is a lead in Interview with a Vampire.

Staff Writer Mohana Mitra examines the successes and unanswered questions of ‘Interview with a Vampire’ Part II. (This article contains spoilers) Immortality beats a...

Staff writer, Saoirse Byrne, comments on the transition of Welsh Rugby Player, Louis Rees-Zammit into the NFL upon his recent transfer to the Kansas...

News Editor Imogen Dixon reports on this year’s London Varsity rugby matches. The final fixtures of the 2024 Varsity season followed the confirmation of...