KCLSU Release Statement Regarding Situation in Afghanistan

KCLSU Student Officer Team release statement on Situation in Afghanistan

The 2021/22 KCLSU Student Officer Team have released a statement on the current situation in Afghanistan.

In the statement, they expressed concern about the unfolding events, and how they may be negatively impacting Afghan students at KCL; “As a university and students’ union that is home to Afghan students, we are truly concerned about the current events unfolding in Afghanistan. We, as a Student Officer team, are deeply saddened by some of the images coming out of Hamid Karzai Airport and cannot begin to imagine what the Afghan people must be going through at such a difficult and troubling time.

We understand this is an especially difficult time for our Afghan students, the Hazaras community in Afghanistan and our Hazara students, and we would like to offer our support and solidarity to all of our students affected by these events.”

The Student Officer Team stress that KCLSU is doing all it can to reach and support those affected, and ask that anyone who feels they need support contact them at [email protected]. The statement also includes a list of resources for those in need of mental health support at this time, or who just want to talk to someone.

The statement also highlights the work of KCLSU Afghan Welfare student society, who have been creating informative posts on their social media explaining the situation in Afghanistan, and detailing resources and next steps. For those interested in getting involved with the Afghan Welfare Society, they are hosting a picnic and sports day event on September 15.

The KCLSU Officers Team wrap up their statement; “Our thoughts are with the people of Afghanistan and we sincerely hope the circumstances improve. We stand by our students and we hope you and your families are all safe and well.”