A Very Covid Christmas: Best Holiday Songs

Roar writer Annabelle Pope shares her top five songs for getting into a Christmas spirit.

Nothing about a holiday season colliding with Covid season makes us want to sing and dance, that much is certain. However, after such a difficult year, we should allow ourselves to indulge in small pleasures, including getting into the holiday spirit. Without further ado, here are my top five favourite holiday songs.

“The Lighthouse Keeper” by Sam Smith 

This one is a recent release by the icon that is Sam Smith. They did what they do best: make me feel very sad and very single. This is another beautiful song by our favourite Sam. The artist said in an Instagram video that they had always loved the idea of “calling to someone” with their music. They described this song as “wholesome and warm” and it is exactly that. It’s not a jolly song in the slightest, but the glorious harmonies and runs make it a nostalgic tune to listen to in order to make you appreciate the love that you have.

“A Little Love” by Celeste

Here’s a hot take: I really wasn’t a fan of the John Lewis advert this year. I was expecting them to really milk the fact that the entire world is depressed and to make the British population sob on their sofas. Only two good things came from this advert: the Lewis Capaldi meme and Celeste’s new single. I’m a huge fan of Celeste’s work. Her tone makes every song she releases have such a magical quality to it, which made her a perfect pick for John Lewis’ Christmas song. Another whimsical one, but I share Sam Smith’s opinion that Christmas songs are far too jolly and that is not the vibe for this year.

“Last Christmas” by Wham!

I am of the firm opinion (inherited by my mother) that there isn’t a problem that can’t be fixed by a song featuring George Michael. This one is absolutely a classic that probably doesn’t need much description. It’s undoubtedly a break-up song: George Michael is lamenting a love lost, what else is new? But this song features in my Christmas playlist every year. Just as George Michael is the king of sad boi hour, “Last Christmas” is the king of Christmas songs.

“Hey Sis, It’s Christmas” by RuPaul feat. Markaholic

I have to admit, the first time I listened to this one, I did have a giggle. This up-tempo, perhaps slightly uncharacteristic song has now become a personal staple in my Christmas song repertoire. This one is absolutely going to have you on your feet, but it’s probably not one to put on around your parents if they’re on the conservative side. As a RuPaul’s Drag Race megafan, this song screams charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent.

“Silent Night” 

I felt like I should include a carol, and this one is my personal favourite. No other song quite embodies the peaceful feeling of drinking eggnog by the fire on Christmas Eve as “Silent Night,” in my opinion. One of our family traditions is to listen to the King’s College Cambridge’s choir on December 24th, and their rendition of this song always brings a tear to my eye.

On behalf of the Roar team – have a merry Christmas, despite the circumstances. Keep listening and keep dancing.

Attendees playing indie games pre-release. Credits: Tanya Kapur

Music Festival Stage and Crowd Music Festival Stage and Crowd

On 13 May, a student-led coalition of multiple London universities launched pro-Palestine encampments at King’s College London (KCL). Protestors intend to occupy the university...

Scammers claiming to be members of staff at King’s College London (KCL) have targeted students at the university. On 9 May, King’s sent an...

Staff Writer Anoushka Singh analyses Taylor Swift’s rise to money, fame and stardom commenting on her now global impact. Taylor Swift recently went on...