KCLSU Awards Nominees 2024: Meet Women in Business

Image courtesy of KCL Women in Business.

Editor-in-Chief Nia Simeonova presents Women in Business, a nominee at the King’s College London Students’ Union (KCLSU) Awards 2024. With the awards set for 28 May at the De Vere Connaught Rooms, Roar will introduce its readers to some of the distinguished nominees.

KCL Women in Business is the largest platform for female voices in the sphere of business at King’s College London (KCL). In their words, they are “a group of passionate women who all share the same mission of creating a supportive network for women at King’s”. This year, the society was nominated for ‘Committee Of The Year’ at the KCLSU Awards.

The society’s first reaction to the nomination was one of gratitude to all of their supporters:

“Your active participation within our community not only amplifies the impact of Women in Business but also fuels our relentless commitment towards fulfilling our mission of empowering women.”

To achieve that goal, they host a range of recruitment seminars, skill workshops, wellbeing sessions, office visits and networking socials for women.

Throughout the year, it was not uncommon to see Women in Business host two or three different events each week – totalling 25 events across this year. The most popular ones gathered over 200 attendees. Whether uncovering the path towards success in the world of finance, media, law or business, there was something in store for each of their members. Some of their notable guests included Claire Isnard – Chanel’s Global Chief People and Organisation Officer, Finola McDonnellFinancial Times’s Chief Communications and Marketing Officer and Tiina Lee – the CEO of Citi Bank UK.

In November, Roar News co-hosted a panel discussion alongside Women in Business. Titled “Women in Media”, it brought some of The Times’ most remarkable female journalists to an audience of engaged King’s students.

The ‘Women in Media’ panel event which Roar co-hosted alongside Women in Business. Image courtesy of Emma Carmichael.

Organising multiple events each week and making sure the committee works smoothly and professionally like a well-oiled machine is not easy. The society told Roar, “we work really well together probably because of the way we recruit students…skills can be developed but it is essential for us to make sure we click and share the same principles, work styles, and values.”

Another aspect which helps them is collaboration:

“Even though everyone has a well-designated role within the committee, everyone is more than happy to help the others with tasks that don’t necessarily fall within their competencies or responsibilities.”

This year, the society has also ventured in the sphere of publishing. They started their own journal From Women For Women which has published two editions already.

Learn more about Women in Business on their social media. We wish them luck at the upcoming awards!

Keep up with Roar’s coverage of the 2024 KCLSU Awards on our Instagram on Tuesday, 28 May from 5:00 PM.