KCL Re-Introduces Compulsory Mask Wearing on Campus

Compulsory mask
Photo by Fusion Medical Animation on Unsplash

In a statement released on Monday, Interim Vice President Adam Fagan and Executive Director Darren Wallis announced that face coverings will be mandatory inside King’s College London (KCL) buildings from November 30 onwards.

The change in policy comes following the government’s changes to Covid-19 guidance after the discovery of a new Covid-19 variant, dubbed “Omicron”. These changes include the compulsory wearing of masks in shops and on public transport.

The statement reads: “The health and wellbeing of our students and staff remains our priority and we want to update you on what this change in guidance will mean at King’s.

“We want to assure you that our campuses will remain opening including our libraries, and in-person teaching, and related services and activities will continue.”

The only changes to scheduled teaching will occur due to industrial action taking place from December 1-3.

In addition to compulsory face coverings, the email urged that students continue to test twice a week if they are coming onto campus. Both KCL TEST and lateral flow tests are available at campus reception desks and in residences. Students are also encouraged to get fully vaccinated and receive booster shots once eligible.

Like last year, the College asks that if students are travelling home for winter break, they take two KCL TESTs or two lateral flow tests before leaving London. On-campus teaching is still set to continue when students return for semester 2 in January.

The statement also directs students to Student Services Online for added support, saying that: “We recognise the news of the new Covid variant in addition to the industrial action is unsettling and may cause additional stress and pressure on your studying”. Students can access “impartial and confidential academic advice support services” through the Student Union advice webpage.

They conclude, “we will continue to watch the emerging situation closely. The number of reported positive cases of Covid on our campuses continues to be low.

“Continuing to follow the guidance as you have been doing and having the Covid vaccine and booster when you are eligible is helping to protect you and those around you.”