Man charged with murder for fatal stabbing of King’s student

The trial of a man accused of the fatal stabbing of King’s student Mohamed Al Araimi is due to take place in July.

Badir Rahim Alnazi, 23, is suspected of attempting to steal Mohammed’s Rolex watch, in a violent robbery which ended in the stabbing and tragic death of the KCL politics and economics student. The incident took place outside Harrod’s department store in Knightsbridge, West London, on 5th December. Mohamed, 20, died at the scene.

The indictment came not long after police released CCTV images of two men they wished to interview for their investigation, offering a £20,000 reward for information resulting in prosecution. Alnazi handed himself in shortly after the video was publicised. He will also be charged with attempted robbery and possession of a bladed article.

Since his death, staff and students at King’s have paid tribute to Mohamed, a ‘very kind-hearted person who cared greatly for others’. Staff who taught Mohamed described him as ‘smart, helpful, and humble’ and ‘a pleasure to interact with’.

Following Mohamed’s death, British police have sought to reassure Arab tourists and residents that London is a safe city for them. Mark McEwan, speaking at a Dubai crime prevention event in December, said that ‘London is still a very safe city…especially for our friends from the UAE’.

SHAG Week banner SHAG Week banner