‘Entirely blameless’: King’s student stabbed to death during robbery

A King’s College student was stabbed to death in the early hours of Friday 6th December, while walking home with a friend through Knightsbridge.

Mohamed bin Abdullah Al Araimi, 20, was thought to have been targeted for his Rolex watch. The attack took place just outside Harrod’s, the luxury department store in West London. Mohammed was pronounced dead at the scene, shortly after midnight on Friday.

His friend, also 20, was injured during the incident and subsequently taken to hospital “in serious condition,” according to police, though he has since been discharged.

Mohamed was a Politics and Economics student at King’s. An Omani citizen, his death also prompted the Omani Embassy in London to express via a statement “with great sadness and sorrow, its condolences to the family of the deceased.”

“The victim and his friend were entirely blameless, simply enjoying a meal out together. It does appear that the motive for this cowardly attack was robbery,” said Detective Chief Inspector Andy Partridge, who is leading the police investigation.

In a statement, King’s Principal Professor Edward Byrne said, “This has come as a terrible shock to us all and our thoughts and sympathies are with Mohamed’s family and those close to him. This appalling and extremely sad incident will doubtless cause great distress to all who knew Mohammed and to students and colleagues across the wider community.”

A book of condolences will be available to sign from tomorrow and into January in the School of Politics and Economics Office (Room 7.01 Bush House, NE Building).

Mohamed’s death was one of three fatal stabbings in London within just 12 hours. Over the afternoon and night of Thursday 5th December, attacks also took place in Hackney and Deptford.

Police have appealed to the public for information, calling on “anyone who saw two males running [along Basil Street in the direction of Sloane Street], or to drivers who were in Sloane Street around midnight and may have captured any part of this incident on dash-cam footage, to get in contact with my team immediately.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Met Police incident room on 020 8358 0300 or call 101, or alternatively tweet @MetCC.