King’s terror suspect appears in court

A police van carrying one of the suspects leaves the Old Bailey / Johnny Tam

A KING’S Physics student appeared in court alongside four other men on terrorism charges on 27 October. 

Suhaib Majeed, 20, of Cherwell House, Church Street Estate, London NW8, appeared at the Old Bailey accused of involvement in a plot to kill UK police officers or soldiers.

One of his co-accused , Tarik Hassane, 21, of Princess Alice House, Dalgarno Way, London W10, was also offered a conditional place at King’s College London in 2013 on a Medical, as well as a Pharmaceutical, programme.

Earlier this month, a spokesperson for King’s told Roar that Hassane had failed to get the grades needed for either course.

All five men were arrested following a series of armed raids across the capital.

The charge sheet for the five men includes alleged arrangement to purchase a handgun equipped with a silencer, swearing oaths of allegiance to proscribed terrorist group Isil, and conducting “hostile reconnaissance” of Shepherd’s Bush police station and White City Territorial Army Barracks.

According to police, the men are also accused of having “graphic images” of the beheading of American-Israeli journalist Steven Sotloff.

The arrests come after the UK terror threat level was raised from “substantial” to “severe”.

Majeed appeared in the Old Bailey via video uplink from custody for the remand hearing, in which the details of the upcoming trial proceedings were discussed.

The trial is set for June of next year.