KCL Equestrian Society Hope to Rein Again After Four-Year Hiatus

Logo courtesy of KCLSU

News Editor Daisy Eastlake takes a look at the only Varsity event to include non-human competitors.

The KCL Equestrian society are no strangers to success, with three competition teams routinely competing in British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) leagues. “In 2019, our team won the National title, and every year after that, we have had qualifications for both Regionals and Nationals”, says President Nadia Bardolet-Otake.

In 2019, they were named BUCS National Champions – and they’re hoping to recapture this legacy of success to this year’s Varsity season against University College London (UCL). “Varsity will see a usual BUCS Equestrian competition structure. This consists of the Dressage element in the morning, followed by the Show Jumping portion in the afternoon”, Nadia explains. “We hope to introduce an additional mini-competition to the Jumping portion, but this is still being planned!”

“We’ve got an amazing team this year and have no doubt that they will perform incredibly, regardless of the outcome.” The Equestrian society first competed at Varsity in 2019, beating UCL. The society have not competed since, but are hoping to replicate their victory four years on. 

The society run regular lessons, so that any King’s College London (KCL) student can get involved, regardless of prior ability. Whilst confident riders can audition for the competing teams, who Nadia says have been “hugely successful in the BUCS leagues since [they] started”, those wishing to get involved with the sport for the first time can also get involved in their beginner sessions. 

Last year, the society took their skills internationally, touring France and taking breaks from sightseeing to go on hacks through the Bourgogne countryside. Domestically, the society are keen to keep the social side of their club alive, routinely attending the infamous Guy’s Bar sports night and arranging discounts for members to attend events like the London International Horse Show.

Nadia is delighted by the community that has been fostered at KCL Equestrian. “The social side of the club is important to us as it allows members to meet fellow riders as well as the committee, and provides a place for people to socialise and make new friends.” 

KCL Equestrian will compete against UCL the Trent Park Equestrian Centre from 10:00 on 13 March.

Staff Writer, Oliver Harrison comments on England’s performances in the recent international friendlies, with an insight into what fans may expect at the upcoming...