New Sports at Varsity set to “shake” UCL

The rivalry between KCL and UCL stretches back nearly two centuries. Nowadays, it plays out on the sports fields. Since 2004, the London Varsity Series has grown to include over 20 fixtures, making it one of the biggest and most fiercely contested student sport events in the country.

Volleyball and American Football will join the London Varsity Series line-up for 2023. We caught up with the clubs to find out how they’re feeling ahead of their Varsity fixtures.

Rachel Daniels (Women’s Captain) & George Ivanov (Men’s Captain), Volleyball

“Volleyball is fast-paced, electric, and so much fun. Everyone on the team has fallen in love with the sport and we hope to share that feeling with our supporters at Varsity! Our Women’s team is currently neck and neck with UCL at the top of the league table – the rivalry is intense, and the rallies will be too. Our Men’s team is riding a high from recent success in the national Student Cup. After some insane results against the top teams in the country, the men’s team are looking to shake UCL with all they have. We cannot wait for our Men’s and Women’s teams to thrash UCL on 19 March and hope to see many King’s supporters there!”

Omid Zarei, President of The Regents, KCL’s American Football team

“This will be KCL Regents’ first time back at Varsity since 2019 and we are delighted to be a part of it. So far this season we have gone undefeated and won our division for the first time in KCL Regents American Football history. We defeated UCL 21-0 earlier this year as part of our BUCS League campaign, so we are going into this game with high level of confidence. The Regents is a lot more than just a team; it’s a family. So be sure to come down to Greenwich Avery Hill Campus and watch us bring Varsity home!”

All Varsity fixtures will be announced on the KCLSU website.

Staff writer Abhinav Poludasu responds to Amana Begam’s article in ThePrint, which criticises the continuation of India-Pakistan cricket matches at an international level. 9...