King’s Students Should Support Greek Theatre

ancient greek theatre

Staff writer Caroline Vlachakou comments on the Greek government’s decision to devalue art studies.

By Presidential Decree, the Greek government has equated the degree of all graduates of the Higher Schools of Dancer or Theatre, recognised by the Ministry of Culture, with a high school diploma, not a BA.

The Presidential Decree 85/2022 on “Determination of appointment qualifications for appointment to public institutions” recognises graduates of drama schools with secondary school qualifications. 

Through this the Greek government has, according to the students of the National Theatre School, devalued the studies of art. It is shocking to see the birthplace of western theatre, art and culture to treat its young artists in such a way.

There is a lack of coverage from the Greek media, therefore we must take it upon ourselves to share this story. All the professors of the National Theatre have resigned as the ultimatum they had sent to the government demanding the altering of the Presidential Decree expired on February 8th. Meanwhile, the students, who have been striking outside the National Theatre School, issued a statement on December 22nd, announcing the beginning of their strike.

“It is clear once again that the government has a plan to shrink the budget for contemporary culture and to cut what labour rights and prospects remain for our workers, officially treating us as hobbyists.”

King’s Students must stand with the students and professors of Greek Theatre.

Roar writer Elena Veris Reynolds on the government’s treatment of the arts sector over the past few years. The past couple of weeks have...

The phrase ‘King’s Cultural Challenge’ has inevitably cropped up in many of our KCL inboxes within the past weeks. Alas, as the busy students...