VARSITY PREVIEW 2022- Saturday 19th March

Boat Club

This year the Rowing event returns to its normal Chiswick location, with KCL in good form o take home the title. A recent victory by the WS8 in the UH tournament over a United Hospitals side is a very good dress rehearsal for their biggest race of the year. On a sunny Saturday afternoon in the lovely area of Kew, there are a few better places to be.

Lacrosse (Women’s)

Last year, covering the Lacrosse was an absolute delight. A very casual affair at the local-to-me Griffin Sports Ground, on a gloriously sunny June day, learning rules for a sport I’d never watched before was a small price to pay for the entertainment on show. In last year’s event, after a gutting defeat for the men’s outfit in the final minutes, the women’s team avenged that in the same fashion with a late dramatic victory via a golden goal decider. Though taking place nearly outside of the M25 this time out, it should still provide a good afternoon’s entertainment with the women’s team in strong form and looking to retain their title.

Lacrosse (Men’s)

If there was a dampener on covering last year’s Lacrosse action, it was the nature of the men’s defeat- after playing so well for the opening two thirds of the match, they succumbed to a late comeback and were left ruing missed chances in the opening third. With taking reinforcements from a strong 2s side this year, they can be confident in a victory this time out. £7 for both matches will be solid value, and likely cheaper than the TfL fare out to Arnos Grove.

KCL Hockey (Men’s)

It’s fair to say that the men’s hockey flattered to deceive in last year’s series- an unfair 6-1 drubbing, being done on the counter a few times, was not reflective of the usual standard of this very strong side. Certain things will work in the team’s favour this time round- the Olympic hockey venue of Lee Valley in Stratford will play host to a big Strand following this time round, as opposed to the scant following that Covid restrictions enforced last time out. With a good reputation in this event, it’s a great chance for KCL to get a point on the board.

KCL Hockey (Women’s)

If the KCL Women’s 2nd team won the ICG south eastern BUCS cup over RUMS 1s, that can only reflect well on the strength of the 1s side this time out as they look to win the Varsity title in one of KCL’s traditionally strongest sports of the series. The 1s have been in good form in the lead up to biggest outing of the year- beating Surrey 1s 2-0 last week. Additionally, they’re in the semi-finals of the BUCS Cup and look strong to win it, so all is boding well for another Strand victory in the women’s hockey.

Images credited to KCLSU.

Staff Writer, Oliver Harrison comments on England’s performances in the recent international friendlies, with an insight into what fans may expect at the upcoming...