London Cinema Saving: Catching the Biggest and Best Films of 2022 at a Bargain Price

Photo by Fletcher6 at Wikimedia Commons. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license. The image has been cropped.

Roar writer Leo Benham tells us how to watch this year’s biggest films for the smallest prices possible. 

With the Summer Blockbuster period coming to an end and the late-year releases looking to close out 2022, it might be useful to track down some of the best deals around London to grab yourself some cheap tickets this Autumn and Winter for films both old and new. With smash hits “Don’t Worry Darling”, “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” and “Avatar: The Way of Water” all coming to screens in the closing months of the year, as well as a plethora of classics, re-releases, and theatre performances available across the capital, here are some of the best bargains that students could utilise to explore the world of cinema at a discounted price.

The Big Cinemas

Although it might seem obvious, the biggest cinema chains in the UK all provide great ways to save money while going to the movie theatre. For just £16.99 a month in London, cinemagoers can visit all of Odeon’s cinemas around the country as much as they like with their myLIMITLESS membership. Odeon’s average London prices sit at around the £15 mark, so taking a trip to one of their cinemas a couple of times a month will still save you plenty on trips to see the latest films.

Picturehouse Cinemas have a diverse range of branches and film showings around London, offering a 16-25 membership that allows for all manner of discounts and benefits, alongside 2 free tickets for a film of your choice, for just £25 annually.

If you’re a slightly more casual cinemagoer, these might end up being for you.

BFI Southbank

The BFI Southbank showcases some of the most unique films you can see in London all year round. It’s a great space to see a film too, located just over the road from Waterloo station. What’s more, they offer a 25 and Under student programme, meaning that all tickets are £3 for those that register, without any extra fee. All you need to do is send some proof of your age. The discounts are activated automatically and there is a broad catalogue of film classics, re-masters, and new indie releases available across the 4 screening theatres.

LFF

The London Film Festival is another great way for young adults to save some money on seeing the terrific, first-peek films that premiere across Central London each year. With 2022’s festival set to take place from the 5 to 16 October, the festival takes place in some of London’s most grandiose cinema venues, including The Prince Charles Cinema, the Institute of Contemporary Art, and the National Theatre, debuting some exclusive indie and cultured films as well as showing Q and A’s, red carpets, and all manner of film and TV specials. Partnered with the BFI 25 and Under scheme, students can continue to use their £3 tickets when queuing at the door, as the BFI continue to programme and monitor the festival annually. With the full programme set to drop on 1 September and the highly anticipated sequel “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery” already announced for the closing night gala, LFF 2022 promises to be one of London’s most exciting film events of the year for cinephiles.

Theatre and Barbican

Both the National Theatre and the Barbican Centre offer Under 25 programmes that grant access to a range of theatre and film performances for low prices. The Barbican Centre displays a diverse span of cinema, including film and theatre classics that have dodged the spotlight in the commercial space. The National Theatre boasts their cinema NT Live and NT Encore collection that plays across cinemas nationwide but can be accessed with their 16-25 ticket range. Simply submit your details on their relevant websites and get booking tickets right away.

Whether you want to catch the big names or devote some serious time to the cinema experience, there are always deals to be had across cinemas and theatres in London, no matter the occasion.