King’s Lacrosse Ladies are promoted

King’s College London’s Lacrosse ladies had an incredibly successful and fun season.

The team started off the Spring term strong with multiple wins under their belt followed by a hard fought loss to a strong Exeter team. However, the team only went up from here as they finished the rest of the season off with nothing but wins. This included 10 overall wins and a huge Varsity win (11-9) against a tough, competitive UCL team. The team’s success can be attributed to the new talent brought on to the team this year and close team bond.

The season ended with the team being up for an important league promotion. King’s College Lacrosse ladies played in the Women’s (Premier) South 2 Playoff consisting of Reading Women’s 1 and Bristol Women’s 2. After a Reading walkover to start off the playoff, it all came down the to match against Bristol. With many major wins under their belt and a strong team, Bristol was a tough competitor. The teams were clearly well matched as they seemed to trade goal after goal with Bristol’s strong attack and King’s strong defence. However, King’s proved to be the more united team as their offense pulled ahead and made it a 12-8 victory for King’s, securing their league promotion.

The match showcased King’s stellar attack with major goal scorers, speed and agility in the midfield, and unified defensive machine. First-year, Coco Harpin, and graduate student, Charlie Catterall, lead the team’s offensive efforts with their quick thinking and impressive shot accuracy. In the midfield captain, Maddie Shaw, and King’s Lacrosse President, Eliza Kiel, lead the efforts to win draws and hunt down ground balls with their consistent hustle. Lastly, the defence of the King’s Lacrosse ladies was nothing short of a well-oiled machine as goal keeper, Harriet Brooks, led the way to create many important
defensive stops and turnovers.

The programme’s success can truly be contributed to variety of skills brought by all players
and close relationships built within the team. King’s Lacrosse ladies proved to have an incredibly successful season and we look forward for what is to come in future seasons, especially with our recent league promotion.

Ella Schactman