Wild Court Website Launched

King’s has launched a new website, offering poems and essays from eminent writers. Founded by Ruth Padel and Declan Ryan, both well-published poets, Wild Court will feature a variety of essays on contemporary and historical poetry, as well as translations and original work. The website has been financed by the Principal’s Fund at King’s, and has an impressive list of patrons, including Maureen Duffy, Jo Shapcott and KCL Principal Ed Byrne. Ruth Padel, speaking to Roar about Wild Court, described the online journal as offering “high quality discussion, and sometimes examples, of really good contemporary poetry”.

Edited by Declan Ryan, whose debut poetry collection was published last year by Faber, the website also features an Advisory Board to help in the selection of work. According to the website, the board combines “international poets, writers and critics with London poets, London publishers, and staff from King’s”. The site’s name is taken from a street just off Kingsway: Wild Court was a rookery for Irish immigrants during the 19th Century, and the name, according to Ruth, “suggests not being bound by rules or conventions”, a quality the online journal seeks to emulate.

Wild Court will also support the Poetry And… talks being held in King’s College Chapel this month. Many of the speakers in the series have also contributed pieces to the website, as both projects explore the role of poetry in the world today. Writing in The Guardian last week on poetry’s unitive quality, Ruth described the art form as “plugging in to every area of life and thought from neuroscience to history, geography and psychiatry, poetry is not only emotion finding its thought, but any thought, finding its own best words.”

Babcock-Webb Wildlife Management Area, Punta Gorda, Florida

Outgoing Editor-in-Chief Fintan Hogan argues that an unlikely source may offer lessons for dealing with climate impacts when faced with a divided electorate. As...

Comment editor Rayhan Hussain analyses PM Rishi Sunak’s reasoning for calling an earlier than expected general election and examines what the previous two years...

Staff Writer Will Black covers the events of the Miami Grand Prix from earlier this month A debut win, a surprising Ricciardo performance, and...