Music

Preview: Unknown Festival, Croatia

England, O’ England. Home to grumbling and the imperceptible summer. Croatia, darling of the Balkans. Land of gentle-folks, white-stone Dalmatia and buttery swiss-chard. Given the comparison, is it any wonder that leagues of Blighties are now championing the Land of the Croats as hallowed ground for the idyllic summer festival? In the past few years, its misty-aired shorelines have hosted Soundwave, Hideout, Echo, Outlook, and last year’s prize-piggy, Dimensions. It hasn’t taken long for word to get out that these are really some of Europe’s crème-de-la for music in the sun season.

And in 2013, the feast still continues. Hark, young music grubbers. The Adriatic Sea has washed up another pearl onto the shores of the Croatian coastline. This summer, Croatia’s picturesque Rovinj welcomes Unknown Festival. Cut of the collaborative efforts between the fun-machines that brought you Field Day, Warehouse Project and Hideout, the team behind Unknown has got a serious cut to its jib. And it shows in the line-up. So far, the bill boasts live performances from Actress, Four Tet and Django Django as well as a formidable roll-call of DJs far too long to name here. Notable jocks billed already include Todd Terje, Joy Orbison, Floating Points, DJ Koze, and Richie Hawtin. These artists are set to perform in a variety of exotic locations between Rovinj’s white beaches and its crumbling old town. All purpose built, the festival has plotted a veritable funscape of secret stages, secluded dance-spots in pine forests, and a decked-out camping area. It looks to be a billboard time. And, as it pitches up in the second week of September, the festival comes right at the end of festival season so, from where we’re looking, it’s the best way to end the summer before sinking back into the grinding onset of our beloved English winter. Early birds already sold out. Act snappily.

Tuesday 10th Sept. – Saturday 14th Sept. 2013

Tickets available from £109 (plus booking fee)

www.unknowncroatia.com