KCL Rowing Club look forward

By Owen Vanstone-Hallam:

KCL’s rowers have been celebrating a successful year on the water and looking forward to another year of racing.

The women’s squad claimed victories at Quintin Head, UH Head and Women’s Eights Head of the River. At Women’s Head the first eight dug deep to claim a win in the Novice Academic category, setting a new course record in the process. The crew was delighted by the result, with captain Sarah-Beth Amos praising the girls’ preparation and commitment; “Every girl in the boat learned to row at King’s, so it shows what can be achieved”, she said. Meanwhile the second VIII showed great potential in coming 199th out of over 300 crews from across the country.

The men’s winter season was no less dramatic, though sadly their campaign was hampered by the weather the tidal Thames threw at them. Both crews battled against stormy conditions at Hammersmith Head in March, with the second eight coming out slightly worse off. Unfortunately a fortnight later the Head of the River was cancelled owing to even worse conditions. Although they were disappointed, the boys knew their training would put them in good stead for the upcoming regattas.

BUCS Regatta saw 6 KCL crews enter over the May bank holiday weekend. All of the crews posted good results, with the women’s first eight placing 16th and the men’s four placing 10th in their events. The beginner crews showed how well the club’s new rowers have developed, as the women’s beginner four came 10th and the women’s and men’s eights placed 15th and 22nd respectively against tough competition.

The club looks to continue to represent the King’s at the highest level. We are looking forward to welcoming new freshers in September. If you are interested in rowing for King’s, please visit our website theboatclub.org.uk for further details or look out for us at the fresher’s fair!

Staff Writer Mohammed Mustafa Ali discusses the future positive impacts of AI, including the future of biotechnology, business and space travel. As proven by...

Roar’s Deputy Editor-in-Chief Aman Patel reporting the ongoing case of missing King’s nursing student, Owami Davies.  Owami Davies is a 24 year old nursing...