KCL’s Thumbgate: Scientist Sues King’s for £50,000 After Thumb Injury

Staff writer Connor Williams reports on a recent lawsuit where a former King’s researcher claims damages for his injured thumb.

Dr Syed Mian, 36, a stem cell expert who worked as a King’s College London researcher for 13 years has recently sued the university for £50,000. He claims that excessive pipette usage led to a repeated strain injury (RSI) to his thumbs.

Dr Mian claims that he has suffered from crippling pain in both hands leaving him with both anxiety and depression, and that his injury has letf him unable to do fine manual work.

The lawyers for King’s have stated that because he “did not report in time that he had symptoms as a result of his work”, they will refuse to pay compensation but will admit to a breach of duty.

His injuries allegedly started in July 2018, when he was diagnosed with tenosynovitis. he was based at Denmark Hill at the time. King’s alleges that Dr Mian continued to do his work despite knowing the source of his problems. Still, Dr Mian’s attorneys have said that his work “required a significant amount of pressure, and he did the job for extended periods of time without rotation or rest throughout the day.” At first, the pipetting affected his right hand causing him to switch to his left leading to the same problem occurring in both thumbs.

Currently, Dr Mian is still working, he holds a position at the Francis Crick Institute an organisation partnered with King’s

Dr. Mian’s court date is still to be decided but will be held at the Central London County Court.

ROAR has reached out to Dr Mian for comment but have received no respose as of yet.

In her role as the Chancellor of the University of London, Princess Anne visited the Centre for Neuroimaging Sciences at King College London’s (KCL)...

The popular Tesco Express by the Strand campus has been shut until Friday 16 February for store improvements. While the renovations began over the...

Students taking exams early next week can expect temperatures of 5°C (41°F), icy roads, intermittent sleet and an unreliable transport network. According to the...