KCLSU Spring Election Results: Steven Suresh elected President

On April 5th, the results of this year’s KCLSU Spring Elections were revealed. Steven Suresh, a current Year 2 Philosophy student, has been elected President with just over five hundred votes. 

In his manifesto and written interview with Roar, Suresh outlined 12 key objectives ranging from improving the college’s policies on sexual misconduct claims to reducing the student union’s “notoriously” slow administration. Suresh topped three other candidates to win the election. 

After his victory, Suresh released the following statement to Roar

“First and foremost, I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to all who have entrusted me with the responsibility of serving as your next President at KCLSU. The elections were undeniably competitive, but ultimately, you have chosen the person you believe will best represent your interests. As your President, my commitment is to be the voice of our student body, fostering a diverse and inclusive academic environment, and tackling challenges head-on to elevate both our University and Student Union to new heights. Trust is earned and I will earn yours. Together, we can achieve incredible things.”

There were also elections for five other student officer positions.

• Janvi Jagasia (Year 2 Biomedical Science BSc) was elected VP Education of Health faculties with 482 votes.
  • Sadaf Abbas Cheema (Year 3 International Relations BA) was elected VP Education of Arts & Sciences faculties with 554 votes.
  • Alizeh A (MA Medical Ethics and Law) was elected VP Postgraduate with 370 votes.
  • Hassan Ali (Year 2 Digital Culture BA) was elected VP Welfare & Community with 527 votes.
  • Thea Turton (Year 3 Religion & Politics BA) was elected VP Activities & Development with 613 votes.

Lastly, four candidates were elected as Student Trustees: Uhayd, Virajit Singh, Oluwatofarati Alabi and Alavi Hossain. Uhayd led the three other winners, garnering 213 votes.

There was a significant delay in the publication of election results, which were originally scheduled to be released at 2pm yesterday. However, it was just before 5pm when the KCLSU posted a short article naming newly-elected student officers. 

There have continued to be issues loading the official results page with exact vote totals. In fact, Alizeh A, the newly-elected VP Postgraduate, had to reach out to Roar to find out the election results after repeated failed attempts to access the SU’s results page. Roar has contacted KCLSU Elections for comment about the persistent issues but they have not yet responded. 

Roar also reached out to each of the six student officers for a statement on their victory. Statements from those who have responded to the request can be seen below. We will update this article if other candidates respond at a later time.

Janvi Jagasia: “Hi everyone! As your elected Vice President Education Health, I am committed to ensuring that every student is heard and represented. I will help facilitate a collaborative and transparent environment where students are informed and included in any academic decision-making processes. I look forward to working with all of you, the faculties and the administration, to make our academic journey a fulfilling and enriching experience. Thank you for your trust and support. Let’s work together to build a better tomorrow!”

Alizeh A: I am honoured and humbled to have been elected as your next Vice President Postgraduate. I would like to express my sincere gratitude to all of the students who voted for me and put their trust in me to represent them. I cannot wait to start working for our student community, and to listen to your concerns and ideas. My goal is to ensure that your voices are heard and your interests are protected. I will work tirelessly to make sure that we have the best possible experience during our time at King’s. Once again, thank you for this incredible opportunity to serve as your VP Postgraduate. I am looking forward to the journey ahead and cannot wait to make a positive impact for our fellow students. A huge congratulations to my future teammates. I cannot wait to collaborate with you!

Sadaf Cheema: “A massive thank you to KCL family for electing me as their Vice President and giving me the opportunity to represent them all. As promised in my manifesto, I am going to use my position to work with King’s and change how deadlines work especially the problem with overlapping deadlines which can be a huge trigger for people that suffer from ADHD. I am going to also bring awareness about the absence or scarcity of feminist literature and perspective in SSPP Degree. I will also work on the issue of not having a single MCF category that applies to students whose mitigating circumstances relate to faith, such as exams on Eid. I plan to do much more and I will try my best to stay connected with as many King’s Students as possible. If you have anything that you would want me to work on or want to bring my attention to, I am always available on Instagram at @sadaf__cheema. Drop a message and lets connect!” 

Thea Turton: I am delighted to be elected Vice President Activities and Development. Congratulations to my fellow officer-elects and to all candidates who campaigned so passionately. I have enjoyed my term as a Student Trustee and I look forward to continue championing the voices of our student leaders at KCLSU Board level. But first, exams!

14/04/2023 Update: The KCLSU has released the following statement on the release of Spring Election results…

“For the first time, the 2023 KCLSU Elections incorporated Student Group leadership roles alongside Student Trustees, Academic Association committee members, and Student Officers. Students cast more than 30,000 votes for over 2,800 positions at KCLSU.

Before we announced the results, the Elections team were in conversation with our external website developer who identified that the scale of results could cause our website to slow down for users, and as such we put contingency plans in place.

In pre-results communications, KCLSU made it clear that pending Returning Officer (RO)  and Deputy Returning Officer (DRO) for approval, the results would be going live from 2pm, as opposed to at 2pm to help manage expectations. When the KCLSU website began to slow down, we delayed the notification of Election results through email and social media to avoid increasing traffic to the website and allow work to successfully resolve the issues.

The KCLSU Elections team would like to thank all candidates and students for participating in the elections this year and their patience. We know many of you were keen to find out who your future leaders are for the upcoming academic year.”

Editor-in-Chief