BREAKING: Just Stop Oil stage protest on Waterloo Bridge

Just Stop Oil protestors
Image courtesy of Conor Walsh

News editor Daisy Eastlake reports on a Just Stop Oil protest which is disrupting King’s students trying to get to campus.

Climate activism group Just Stop Oil have staged slow-walking marches around central London as part of their week-long action plan. The protests have moved around the centre of the city, with Roar first spotting the protest around Kennington High Street before the marches moved up towards central London and the City of Westminster. The latest sighting is Waterloo Bridge, where protestors are blocking the rush-hour commuter traffic and making accessing campus a difficult task.

Tweet from @JustStop_Oil concerning the recent London Marathon, which took place on 23 April, asking the people of the UK to now walk instead of run in the interests of resolving climate change.

Just Stop Oil are a ‘non-violent civil resistance group’ known for staging demonstrations internationally, as well as in and around the United Kingdom. Famous occurrences range from chucking soup across Van Gogh’s paintings to high-turnout marches. Although focussed initially in the UK, primarily demanding the UK Government stop licensing all new oil, gas and coal projects, they now declare themselves part of an international network.

Specialising in peaceful but disruptive protest, Just Stop Oil are a topic of fierce debate in the media and amongst the wider public. Their protest today comes as part of a sequence of ‘slow marches’ which they intended to hold from 7am every weekday, and 12pm on Saturdays, ending each day in Parliament Square.

Music Festival Stage and Crowd Music Festival Stage and Crowd

Scammers claiming to be members of staff at King’s College London (KCL) have targeted students at the university. On 9 May, King’s sent an...

Staff writer Charles Hinds talks to students who have been impacted by the terrorist attack of October 7 and its aftermath. Since autumn last...

This evening the society announced the cancellation of a panel event after substantial backlash and plans for rallies reached a mass public audience. In...