London Varsity Series 2020: RUGBY

Women’s Rugby

Cold wind blasting, sun setting, pew-like media seats in the back of a dinky stand – this was rugby day alright. The big double-header has finally returned to London and it didn’t go amiss – not least by KCLWRFC, looking to make up for last year’s abnormal L. A strong team walked out and polished off an already fine season with a masterclass against the Gower scum. Countless strong possessions were guaranteed by Susanna Hyvonen and Sonia Ubong, with innumerable piercing runs provided courtesy of Atinuke Akindaya – try after try flooded in to cement the Strandies as the true Queens of London. 31-10 the final score, our fighters never gave in and awarded the fans a well-deserved W on a big Varsity Thursday.

Men’s Rugby

We love all 34 other teams with all our heart, but there’s only one sport that kicked off the London Varsity – Men’s Rugby. Though not faced with our age-old opponents, RUMS stepped up to the plate and got absolutely rinsed. Spurred on by an already dominant KCLWRFC performance, the boys in red pitched in for their own battering. Three tries well worked from within our own half all the way to the RUMS try-line, followed by another two from piercing runs courtesy of our wings, King’s asserted London supremacy by wrapping up a 31-12 win and a 2-0 Rugby clincher. The good people of Richmond now content, we’re sure that whatever bar our boys will end up in tonight will see quite another performance from their patrons.

Collector of Tesco clubcard points.
Twitter.com/louisjacques_