King’s student to compete in the Rio 2016 Olympics

Dina Asher-Smith of Britain reacts after competing in the women's 200 metres final during the 15th IAAF World Championships at the National Stadium in Beijing, China August 28, 2015. REUTERS/Dylan Martinez

Photo credit: Reuters

Second-year history student, Dina Asher-Smith, is set to compete in the 2016 Summer Olympics in the 200m event.

Asher-Smith also won a gold medal at the 2016 European Championships held in Amsterdam earlier this month. At 22.37 seconds, she beat off the Bulgarian Ivet Lalova-Collio in the 200m by 0.15 seconds, followed by the German Gina Luckenkemper and Britain’s own Jodie Williams.

The 20-year-old runner is no stranger to breaking records. Since 2015, she has held the national record for the 60m, 100m and 200m and was the fastest teen in her category for the 2015 Beijing World Championships.

Asher-Smith crosses the line of the women's 60 meter final at the Sainsbury's British Athletics Indoor Championship. Photo credit: Getty Images.

Dina Asher-Smith crosses the line of the women’s 60 meter final at the Sainsbury’s British Athletics Indoor Championship. Photo credit: Getty Images.

Born in South-East London, Asher-Smith joined King’s College London in 2014. When she isn’t training, Asher-Smith dedicates time to studying for her history degree.

“Since a young age, I’ve always had an interest in sport and I remember watching Athens and thinking that it was so cool and that I really wanted to go” said Asher-Smith, who added that the Olympics remains “the main goal for me.”

The competition this year is hosted by the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro – better known for its penchant for football and flamboyant carnivals.

The opening ceremony begins on 5th August and closes on the 21st.

Staff Writer Mohammed Mustafa Ali discusses the future positive impacts of AI, including the future of biotechnology, business and space travel. As proven by...

Staff Writer Sam Lord provides an insight to the effects of The Olympics and the IOC on nations imposing geopolitical power, as well as...