King’s Strand Campus still closed as Holborn continues to burn

KINGSWAY is still alight after firefighters worked through the night to contain an underground blaze which started yesterday afternoon.

The Maughan Library is closed until further notice and the KCL Health Centre has relocated to Cavendish Health Centre.

Holborn was plunged into darkness yesterday evening after serious power cuts caused by the electrical fire.

Twenty-one firefighters are currently battling the blaze besetting Kingsway after yesterday’s cable tunnel fire.

Smoke was still spewing out of manhole shafts just outside the Virginia Wolf Building earlier this morning – the southern end of Kingsway remains cordoned off.

Holborn was plunged into darkness last night after the area’s power was cut off in a bid to stop the fire.

The LFB explained: “As this was likely to be an electrical fire we had to ensure the power was off before we applied water to extinguish it.”

Waterloo bridge was closed to vehicles, while the holborn area descended into travel chaos with dozens of busses stuck in a serious traffic jam.

A spokesman from the London Fire Brigade said: “This has been a technically difficult incident to tackle.

He went on to say that the fire was contained by 8pm last night after a seven hour struggle to contain the blaze.

“The reason that the fire is still burning is because the service tunnel is hard to reach and although firefighters have been applying water through access points throughout the night.”

“The complexity of the tunnel layout means that it will be some time until the fire is fully extinguished.”

King’s students took to twitter to complain about the closure of campus. Faith Tailer, a PhD student wrote:

Another sage student warned of a potential “student meltdown” after the Library closed yesterday:

The cause of the blaze is still unknown, however The War Studies department hazarded a guess:

Students from the KCL International Feminist Society and KCL Palestine Action protest the London Defence Conference taking place on the Strand Campus. Early this...

Scammers claiming to be members of staff at King’s College London (KCL) have targeted students at the university. On 9 May, King’s sent an...

Roar can reveal that King’s College London (KCL) has spent £48,401.27 promoting the use of the ‘King’s Student’ app since its launch in autumn...