Kingslayers: UCL beat both King’s rugby teams to scoop first Varsity series

UCL dodging a King's player in the men's rugby final of the London Varsity Series
Dulcie Lee / Roar! News

UCL beat King’s in both Varsity rugby games last Friday to scoop the first ever sports series with a 8-5 win. The games ended with two close-fought games of rugby, with the women’s at 10-7 and men’s at 16-9.

Friday was an all important day for KCL, and after trailing 6-5 in the series, King’s needed to win both rugby matches to guarantee their place in history.

The women’s game kicked off at 5pm with somewhat poor attendance in the stands. The first half was a gritty affair with strong defence on both sides. However, when they returned for the second half, UCL women managed to score two tries in succession.

As the support grew so did the resolve of the KCL women, and they scored and converted a try towards the end of the second half. Unfortunately it wasn’t enough, and UCL were the victors.

The loss of the women’s game put the series at 7-5 to UCL, so for the men the game was simply about pride. Kick off was delayed as public transport issues meant that many of the supporters were stuck on tubes and buses desperately trying to get to the stadium. When the game did eventually start, it was characterised by strong defensive play on both sides.

By half time the score was tied at 6 all after both teams had converted penalties.  For the majority of the second half, King’s were leading 9-6 after they scored another penalty, but after some great attacking rugby from both sides, UCL broke the King’s defence and ran over for a try which was converted.

After they scored another penalty the score was 16-9 and UCL could taste victory. They held on for one last attack, and UCL had won the game.

Whatever the result, both KCL teams treated the supporters to two high quality games of rugby, and in return the KCL Red Army were loud and proud with the ‘KCL CL’ song drowning out the UCL support all evening.

KCL’s first team captain Tim Fawcett said after the game: “We could tell early on that one try would decide the game in an intense encounter. Whereas UCL took their chance well, we were unable to score points when camped in their 22, costing us dearly.

He added: “The atmosphere at Allianz Park was electric, and all the players were both extremely grateful and proud to play in front of such brilliant support from King’s.”

SHAG Week banner

In a recently released financial statement, King’s College London (KCL) reported an annual surplus of £128 million in the year leading up to 31...