Roar! wins Best Website and receives special recognition at national SPA awards

L-R: Roar!'s award and pizza leftovers, deputy editor Megan Hector with the award

KING’S’ student tabloid Roar! News won Best Website and received special recognition for Best Publication at a national student awards ceremony this weekend.

The event, hosted by the Student Publication Association, saw the student tabloid win its first external award in 17 years.

In the special mention, judge Nick Petrie from The Times and The Sunday Times, said: “Roar! have excellent execution of the tabloid styles which compliments first class reporting on student issues.

“[Roar!] shows great potential to play an ongoing and central role in student life.”

This comes after KingsTV scooped Highly Commended for Marketing at the NaSTA (National Student Television Association) and KCL Radio pocketed another award at the Student Radio Association.

Matt Capon, student media co-ordinator for King’s student union KCLSU, said: “We’ve seen unprecedented success for KCLSU Student Media this year and I’m pleased to see the dedication of the Roar! team recognised with an SPA Award.

“For all of the hard work and long hours that goes on downstairs in the Roar! office, which for the most part goes unseen, this award is well deserved.”

Personal note: The editor would like to thank the team and deputy editor Megan Hector especially for this award. Megan’s incredible talent and unparalleled support was priceless.

Get involved here.