Stylishly back to King’s

Style tips for returning students and freshers alike!

Forget about books, stationery and folders in preparation for university, and focus on your wardrobe! Like many people find, buying a new set of clothes to start off the year is the perfect way to create a fresh start. As there are so many great styles and trends in at the moment, it is an ideal time to get shopping before the new season. What will your style consist of when returning to or starting at King’s College London?

Boots are the perfect footwear for uni, as they are comfortable and versatile with many outfits. You can dress them up or down, but for university you are likely to want a relaxed but cool look. The first outfit (above left) is a very comfy but fashionable ensemble, with the monochrome colours matching perfectly in a simple yet chic way. Black and white has always been stylish, and the satchel bag and shoes match effortlessly with the baggy white jumper and black jeans. Obviously, if you want some more vibrancy with the outfit, perhaps choose plain black boots, and pick out a bright satchel as your statement accessory.

The second outfit (above centre) incorporates the pretty and girly ombre shirt dress with the more geeky velvet T-bar shoes. Although the shoes look quite heavy and awkward, they will look amazing with the floaty dress and black tights. A great tip with buying clothes for university is finding items that you can wear both in lectures and on a night out, depending on how you style them. For instance, to dress up this outfit further, replace the shoes with chunky heels and wear a classic gold chain necklace. To finish the outfit off, buy a large handbag to fit your books, laptop and make-up in for lectures. Although this bag is quite simple, any large shopper bag would look awesome.

Finally, the last outfit (above right) makes use of the tartan comeback which has been seen on catwalks this year, including Moschino in Milan. The tartan pencil skirt is very quirky and smart; however, pairing a shirt or blouse with this skirt would seem too formal and probably make you feel less comfortable. A nice jumper would look particularly great with the flat ankle boot. It is more informal and relaxed – perfect for any lecture or study group!

There are lots of great styles out at the moment, and plenty of places to bag some bargains on the high street without having to spend ridiculous amounts of your overdraft!

Protesters in favour of Ali as KCLSU president on Strand campus

Staff writer Claire Ducharme examines the recent French fast fashion bill and its implications on sustainability in the industry. On 14 March 2024, France’s...

Staff writer Margo Sautelle dives into the coquette aesthetic, raising questions about the real implications of the trend, the meaning of girlhood and the...