Desmond defaced – racism at King’s?

Mystery sticker appears on Tutu photograph.

A mystery sticker has appeared on the photograph of the former Archbishop Desmond Tutu outside the Strand campus.

The sticker appears to be from the Post Office for goods sent outside of the EU, and the words “Deface this” have been written by hand over the text.

The intention behind this vandalism is unclear at present. The fact that the sticker was for goods leaving the UK has led to concerns that the defacement may have been racially motivated.

It is not known at present how long the sticker has been on the photo.

Photographs outside the Strand Campus have been defaced on a number of previous occasions. One of the more notable instances was last year’s attack on the photograph of Lord Carey, labelling him a “raging homophobe”.

Tutu, who studied at Kings in the 1960s and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1984, is most famous for being one of the leading campaigners against Apartheid in South Africa.

He was made a Fellow of King’s in 1978, and was a visiting professor in Post-Conflict Societies at King’s in the spring term of 2004.

Staff Writers Hannah Durkin and Klara Ismail review Barook Maqsood’s play Middleman “Despite everything, there’s still two of you in there.” If there was...

Bush House front door Bush House front door

Free food available for students today in the King’s Building to celebrate Sikh new year. Free food on campus for one whole day? Yes...

KCLSU logo KCLSU logo

Roar lays out the complicated King’s College London Student Union (KCLSU) rules to explain what’s happening with three student officers after an anonymous employee...

In a recently released financial statement, King’s College London (KCL) reported an annual surplus of £128 million in the year leading up to 31...