London Varsity 2023: Sunday, 19th March Roundup

London Varsity 2023 banner

Sports Editor Laurence-Elliot Key rounds up the fourth day of London Varsity 2023, where team UCL reclaimed the London Varsity trophy.

After a day of Varsity action on Saturday where UCL leaped towards the London Varsity series crown, KCL faced their rivals, UCL, on the fourth day of the 2023 London Varsity Series to attempt the impossible and comeback from 12-5 down in a race to 15. Super Sunday saw the fixtures of Basketball, Badminton, Athletics, American Football, Volleyball, and the Medics Rugby. Live-blogging coverage came from Sports Editor Laurence-Elliot Key at the Regal Court where the Basketball event was alongside help from Siraaj, Ben E., and Salma. Roar News was supported with help from colleagues at KCL Radio and KCLSU.

Basketball (@kcl_mensbasketball @kcl_womensbasketball)

Men’s Basketball: KCL won this match, 66-52 in the end, with player of the match Myles Mullett, #70, scoring 17 points. In the first quarter, both sides struggled to score three pointers due to hitting the roof. Both sides made good use of the pick n roll, but despite UCL starting the game with a higher tempo, they gave away fouls, leading to KCL being able to score free throws. A three on the buzzer gave KCL a 26-20 lead. The 2nd quarter was much slower, with both sides picking up two pointers where they could, UCL gave away a lot more fouls, but at halftime, KCL only lead 38-31. In the second half, UCL continued to tire and so by the 4th quarter, KCL had complete control and in the end they strolled to victory.

KCL Men Basketball players in action

Women’s Basketball: This game was so close and stressful, I couldn’t keep my eyes off it. For me, it was the event that summed up this year’s Varsity. Both teams (including their coaches) from start to finish were battling for each and every call and point that they scored. Both sides supported their team with passion, KCL’s Men’s Captain played a drum for a vast majority of this match and so it made for an amazing atmosphere. UCL’s coach appeared especially animated throughout, but it must be said both coaches were unhappy with a number of calls throughout the game. The score never got away from any side at any point in the game and with 30 seconds left, the score was tied 61-61. But through a couple of free throws near the end of the game, KCL managed to hold out for a 64-61 victory.

KCL Women’s Basketball players in action

Badminton (@kclbadminton)

Both of the Women’s singles won in two sets. Then men’s singles found it slightly harder, with both losing out in 2 sets. Our first men’s singles, Lakshan Devarajan fought hard against the UCL men’s captain Chris Chong with Lakshan losing 24-22 and 21-18. Once again, our Women’s doubles made a clean sweep beating winning both games in two sets with our BUCS Individuals duo Ching Fen Cheng and Selena Wu once again showing their prowess after reaching the RO16 of the national tournament a few weeks ago. Men’s Doubles was straightforward for our first pair, but a close loss for the second pair. Finally, Mixed was another straightforward win for our first 2 pairs. Our 3rd pair fought hard but ultimately lost out. Overall we won 7-4.

Athletics (@kingsaxc)

KCL won this event 81-78, making it their 3rd win in a row against UCL in this particular event.

Athletes taking the bend of the track

American Football (@kclregents)

In a game that saw both teams lead at one point during the match, KCL Regents won in the end 16-14. Regents started the better scoring first through a rushing touchdown by Michael #34, Running Back for the Regents from five yards out. Despite, a big interception catch by KCL’s #22, UCL fought back to take the lead through 2 touchdowns of their own, one a passing touchdown to their #11 and one rushing touchdown, making the score 14-7 to UCL. But the Regents fought to the end, coring yet another rushing touchdown through Michael #34 (but they failed a 2 point attempt). And after a recovery from the Regents, as UCL fumbled the ball on their 20 yard line which lead to a 16 yard field goal and a last minute interception, the Regents won 16-14.

KCL Regents celebrate their win

Volleyball (@kclmvc @kclwvc)

Women’s Volleyball: The KCL Women’s Volleyball match against UCL was one characterised by powerful serves and hits, strong positioning and tight communication. The women were constantly hustling for and slowing down the ball with solid passes, usually followed by a satisfying set and attack. While KCL started out ahead in the first set, UCL overtook and stayed ahead of them. UCL came on even stronger in the second set with some difficult blocking, but luckily in the third set the KCL team proved their worth as the score stayed close. Despite not winning any of the three sets, KCL Women’s Volleyball showed they are certainly a force to be reckoned with.

Men’s Volleyball: The KCL Men’s Volleyball match against UCL was a notably fast-paced match, with intense serves (including some strong aces), good kills and astonishing blocks. Surprising saves and some long volleys had spectators at the edge of their seats while the ball had a nice spin on it throughout the whole match. Despite the team losing all three sets, the first set saw the score remain close, whilst in third set KCL made an outstanding catch up to UCL’s starting score. Despite not winning, you’d certainly not want to be an inexperienced libero on the receiving end of a KCL Men’s Volleyball attack.

Image

KCL Women Volleyball player in action

Med Rugby (@guys_hospital_rfc)

This event ended with a FT score of 22-6 to RUMS, all the points for GHRFC came from two penalties from captain and fly half Jamie Dunbar. This was a courageous performance from GHRFC as they had almost half of their squad injured and so 2nd XV boys had to step in and help out.

After day four, the overall score stands at KCL 10-15 UCL. This means that UCL reclaims the London Varsity trophy.

Thanks must be given to @guys_hospital_rfc, Ali Gibson, Siraj, Justine, and Ayushi for this article.

Staff Writer, Kate Bent, comments on the performance of the GKT and KCL Women’s netball teams in the 2024 Varsity Series. It was a...

Staff writer Sam Lord investigates why the men’s football team (KCLMFC) pulled out of their Varsity fixture this year. One of the most anticipated...

Sports Editor Laurence-Elliot Key rounds up the final day of London Varsity 2023. After a day of Varsity action on Sunday where UCL reclaimed...

University College London won back the London Varsity crown on Monday, 20 March, claiming the series 17-12.  Over five days of competition, TeamUCL and...