KCL Men’s 1s Squash in the hunt for a Double winning season

Sports Editor Laurence Key reports on the recent success of the KCL Men’s 1s Squash Team as they reach the Finals of both the LUSL Cup and the South-Eastern Conference Cup knockout tournaments.

On February 9th, they saw off Essex 1 at home at the Southbank Centre with a 5-0 win over Essex 1 at home in the quarter-final moving them onto the semi-finals in both competitions.

This result meant they had to play both semi-final matches in the same week but fortunately both fixtures were at home at the Southbank Centre. The LUSL Cup Semi was on Monday 20th February were they played the London School of Economics Mens 1s.

The KCL team just too strong for LSE winning the fixture 4-1. The individual results of the match are below:

LUSL Cup Semi

KCL vs LSE (4-1)
1. Zan Farooqi (Won 3-0 11/6, 14/12, 11/5)

2. Rana Sarin (Won 3-0 11/2, 11/6, 11/2)

3. Nate Wong(Won 3-0 11/4, 11/6, 11/6)

4. Ollie Carolin (Won 3-0 11/7, 11/1, 12/10)

5. Baran Ayguven (Lost 3-1 12/14, 11/8, 8/11, 4/11)

Victorious KCL Mens 1s after beating LSE 4-1 in the LUSL Semi

And then only two days later on Wednesday 22nd February they faced Kent University in the South-Eastern Conference Cup Semi-final. Yet again, the KCL team were too strong for the Kent University running out 5-0 winners. They also didn’t drop a game in the entire match despite changing two players from their match on Monday, showing just how strong the KCL team is. The individual results of the match are below:

South-Eastern Conference Cup Semi-final.
Kings Vs Kent (5-0)

1. Zan Farooqi (Won 3-0 11/7, 11/8, 11/5)

2. Shaurya Verma (Won 3-0 11/5, 11/2 , 11/8)

3. Nate Wong (Won 3-0 11/4, 12/10, 11/5)

4. Ollie Carolin (Won 3-0 11/9, 11/3, 11/6)

5. Shahmeer Khan (Won 3-0 11/7, 11/5, 11/2)

Victorious KCL Mens 1s after beating Kent University 5-0 in the South Eastern Conference Cup Semi. (L to R) Ollie Carolin, Zan Farooqi, Shaurya Verma, Shahmeer Khan, Nate Wong

We wish them well in the Final of both competitions and really hope they can bring back both trophies.

On February 4th, Roar was invited to watch the London University Fight Night hosted at the Greenwood Theatre by KCL Amateur Boxing Club. The event...

University College London won back the London Varsity crown on Monday, 20 March, claiming the series 17-12.  Over five days of competition, TeamUCL and...

KCL Fencing Club Secretary Liam Danthanarayana reports on the great recent success of KCL Fencing Womens 1s as well as a round up of...