‘Feliz NaviJazz’: KCL JazzSoc’s Free Christmas Concert on 9 December

KCL Jazz Society will host their free Christmas concert – Feliz NaviJazz – on Saturday, 9 December, beginning at 14:00 in the Great Hall at Strand Campus.

With a programme of music ranging from classic jazz to doo-wop to schmaltzy Christmas songs, the concert will feature two ensembles, Jazz Orchestra, directed by Chris Trotter, and Jazz Chorus, directed by Julia Curry.

Speaking exclusively to Roar, Thomas Walker, President of KCL Jazz Society, said:

“On Saturday, expect some traditional Jazz Orchestra pieces as well as some Latin tunes and even a couple of pop arrangements!”

He also gave some background about the composition of the orchestra:

“Our Jazz Orchestra typically comprises of saxes, trumpets, trombones, flutes, horns, strings and a rhythm section (guitar, piano, drums/percussion and bass). So it’s a pretty big band.”

Regarding the concert, Walker remarked:

“This year we are really lucky to have some great players in our Jazz Orchestra who I’m sure will deliver an amazing performance on Saturday.”

For those interested in joining the society, Walker said the Jazz Orchestra “is open to anyone who wishes to attend rehearsals, regardless of instrument”. He also said they play a “range of repertoire that is suitable for everyone whether they are pretty proficient players or whether they are new to playing in a Jazz Orchestra”.

Similarly, Jazz Chorus is open to all who wish to take part, with no auditioning. Julia Curry, director of Jazz Chorus, told Roar that the group is perfect for “any singers wanting to try out jazz-style arrangements in an informal setting”.

Curry added:

“The Jazz Chorus is looking to expand next term with more pieces, as well as collaborating with the Jazz Orchestra, to bring jazz singers to the forefront of future concerts and offer opportunities to all.”

Another joint-concert for the two ensembles is planned for April 2024, taking place in the Greenwood Theatre. For announcements about concerts and events, see the KCL Jazz Society’s Instagram.

Maughan library

Roar can exclusively reveal that Vice-Chancellor Shitij Kapur’s flat within the Maughan Library is 1,800 square feet (167 square meters) and that the university...

Roar Staff Writer Leah Napier-Raikes takes on the UK’s housing crisis, linking it with the rise of the short-term lets and the uptick in...

Julian Assange protest Julian Assange protest

On Tuesday 20 February and Wednesday 21 February, protesters gathered outside the Royal Courts of Justice near King’s College London’s Strand campus, demanding the...