To Leave Or Not To Leave: Talking Modern Day Healthcare

A career in medicine is a challenge sometimes leading to second guessing. On 18 October, King’s had two influential speakers reveal their personal experience on where the path can lead. The event was hosted at Guy’s Campus, and was organised by the GKT Medical Students’ Association.

Adam Kay, a registrar turned comedian spoke at Greenwood Lecture Theatre about how crucial it is to choose a specialization carefully.

“Every medical specialty has a sin wave”, he said. Being responsible for lives of other humans sets the stakes very high. These change from dermatologists to A&E, with “higher highs bringing lower lows”.

In medicine, things can go terribly wrong. To obstetricians, a disaster is said to happen every seven or eight years. In case of a tragic outcome, Kay claimed the mental support for doctors is largely neglected, despite the fact their stability is tried in the most serious of situations.

For him, one unfortunate experience was more than enough to cope with. He decided to end his career after mistakingly ending the life of an unborn child.

“I can’t go through this again”.

The second guest, Dr Leila Frodsham remains in healthcare until now. While working in womens’ health, a tragedy with one of the patients caused her to take time off and change hospitals. Facing critique of general public and newspapers, she used to hide her name badge walking around to prevent people in hospital from recognising and judging her.

Tackling all this proved incredibly difficult, especially with the lack of care for doctors themselves from health institutions.

However, she later found her ‘niche’, the perfect ‘sin wave’ in specialising in psychosexual medicine. She now leads one of the fifth-year modules and has received awards for her teaching accomplishments.

“Doctors, speak to your colleagues”, Dr Frodsham advises.

Both speakers emphasised peer support plays a vital role in the question whether to stay or leave. Making sure the people who are paid to care are taken care of too will, ultimately, have a huge say in their future undertaking.

Staff Writers Hannah Durkin and Klara Ismail review Barook Maqsood’s play Middleman “Despite everything, there’s still two of you in there.” If there was...

Bush House front door Bush House front door

Free food available for students today in the King’s Building to celebrate Sikh new year. Free food on campus for one whole day? Yes...

KCLSU logo KCLSU logo

Roar lays out the complicated King’s College London Student Union (KCLSU) rules to explain what’s happening with three student officers after an anonymous employee...

Staff writer Rachel Cooke reviews “The Doctor”, a thought-provoking play that questions the extent to which our identities colour our lives. A riveting contemplation...

Roar writer Aneela Aslam on the impact of the recent Roe v. Wade ruling on abortion rights in the US and American democracy. Roe...

Roar writer Scarlett Yu on groundbreaking research that could help defeat Alzheimer’s disease once and for all Technological advancement has occurred at record pace in recent...

Features Editor Ishaan Rahman on King’s religious obsession with online teaching, how it harms students and why it may be here to stay King’s...