‘Battle of the Bards’: A Different Kind of Friday Night

In the evening of 23 November, it was proven that the Meadow can bloom even in unfavourable weather. A group of creative students from King’s, UCL and Goldsmiths brought a different kind of Friday night to Bush House, bravely performing their verses.

The event was organized by the KCL Literary Society and hosted by its Vice President, Priyanka Moorjani. Both categories- open mic and slam- showed a roughly equal participation. With the weekend approaching, the atmosphere was supportive and cheerful, and the competitors did not hesitate to voice personal themes, whether directly or embalmed in metaphors.

The struggle of getting ‘stuck between blue and pink’ in the binary world and the gender question seemed to recur and be mused upon. Self-love, confidence and ‘the importance of holding yourself’, not only others was pointed out, along with prejudice on religious beliefs.

Some of the artists found their style in being more serious and adamant, others preferred to convey their ideas jokingly, e.g. in a poem about ‘the hot racist’. Reflective, hushed poems were heard, as well as fast-paced, passion-driven slams.

The jury, consisting of poets Catherine Davidson, Carmina Masoliver and Solomon O.B. have decided to give first place to ‘Many Nights’, a poem by Rabia Kapoor from KCL. The second and third places were both awarded to UCL.