London attack: Borough and Southwark on lockdown

White van believed to have been the suspect vehicle, surrounded by multiple Met Police cars. (Source: @JO55ADAMS, Twitter)

Seven people have been killed and forty eight have been hospitalised after a terror attack on Saturday night in several locations near London Bridge. 

A van drove into pedestrians on London Bridge at 10pm. Confirmed BBC reports state three attackers clad in hoax suicide vests jumped out of the van and attacked bystanders with knives.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed that shots were fired, and the attack was brought to a halt within eight minutes. Three suspects were confronted, shot and killed. Recently released footage also saw armed police clearing bars and restaurants around the busy Borough Market area. The instructions of ‘Run, Hide, Tell’ were also spread widely across social media platforms in a hope to protect passers-by.

Police commissioner Cressida Dick released a statement this morning, appealing to members of the public, “If you see anything suspicious, even if you think it is insignificant, please contact the police.”

Borough Market is closed for at least 24 hours. In addition, busy stations London Bridge and the nearby Waterloo and Charing Cross have also been closed. Guy’s Hospital, located next to London Bridge, has been put under lockdown in attempts to keep patients and staff safe.

Student union updates inform that KCLSU spaces in Guy’s Campus will not be open on Sunday. Students who still remain in halls of residence in London Bridge, Borough and surrounding areas were advised to stay indoors for the remainder of the night.

London Ambulance has taken a total of forty-eight patients to six different hospitals across London. The authority that runs Guy’s, St Thomas’s & King’s Hospitals confirmed on its Twitter feed that St Thomas’s Hospital is treating casualties of the attack.

This morning, the College released a statement via their Facebook page, stating, “staff, students, and visitors are advised that campuses are on lock-down. Buildings are accessible by main entrances only and security passes are to be worn at all times.”

If any of your family and friends are in the London area, please check-in to make sure they are safe. 

If any King’s students have eyewitness accounts of the incident and would like to share them, please message us directly on Facebook.

Protesters in favour of Ali as KCLSU president on Strand campus

Staff Writer, Kate Bent, comments on the performance of the GKT and KCL Women’s netball teams in the 2024 Varsity Series. It was a...

Staff writer Aryan Pandla delves into the consequences of the coup d’état in Niger. The events that unfolded on 26 July 2023 stand as...

On February 6th, nurses across the UK went on strike. Roar spoke to several participants on the picket line outside Guy’s Hospital in London...

Sports Editor Laurence Key on GKTWRFC’s first match of the season versus their arch-rivals UCL Ladies Last week, GKTWRFC played their first match of...