Sports & Social Bar (aka Phil Bar) Reopens Today!

The Sports & Social Bar will be reopening for business today at 5pm, after being closed for ten months.

Also known as the ‘Philosophy Bar’, the venue will be open every week from Tuesday to Friday at 5pm.

The bar was shut down in January of this year after Westminster Council revoked its alcohol licence.

KCLSU President Ben Hunt and the Club itself, supported by hundreds of students and staff, organised a campaign to save the bar. After a series of open meetings with the King’s Estates Team, they changed the College’s decision to close the bar permanently.

Ben said: “I can’t wait to see so many of you there”. He added: “This amazing space has definitely made my experience and many others at King’s so valuable and worthwhile in finding friends and a place in the community.”

pool

The Council revoked the licence based on a fire incident in early spring 2015 and an assault in November 2015.

King’s has also improved bar facilities to fall in line with Westminster Council regulations. This includes improved security and a ramp for disabled access. While the Phil bar has been modified slightly, the College has assured that the “unique ambience of the bar will not be changed.”

Thomas Smith, the secretary of the Sports and Social Club said: “It was a unique community because it spanned across post-doctoral, academic, PhD and undergrad students. We have the whole college community interacting with everyone else.”

For any nicotine-stained Sartré wannabes, bad news – you’ll have to step outside for a fag as King’s has gone smoke-free.

Got a story? Get in touch with us at [email protected] or phone us at 0207 848 2692

Staff Writer Mohammed Mustafa Ali discusses the future positive impacts of AI, including the future of biotechnology, business and space travel. As proven by...

Roar’s Deputy Editor-in-Chief Aman Patel reporting the ongoing case of missing King’s nursing student, Owami Davies.  Owami Davies is a 24 year old nursing...