King’s fresher ‘burns down’ his dorm room

https://twitter.com/JoeeMoss/status/778954265280782337

First-year student Joe Moss came back to find his room “burnt down”, after he placed a faulty hairdryer on his clothes and left the room.

Around 700 students were evacuated from Great Dover Street apartments in the early hours of yesterday morning. It took four fire engines and 21 firefighters from the London Fire Brigade an hour to tackle the blaze. The building was declared safe to enter 45 minutes later.

Joe later tweeted: “I literally just got a new room but lost all my clothes and stuff”.

https://twitter.com/estateskings/status/778957380415619073

In a statement made to King’s, Nick O’Donnell, Director of Real Estate Management, said: “Our staff and students responded superbly. They heard the alarm and fully co-operated, leaving the building quickly and calmly ensuring no-one was injured. Our staff are available to support anyone who wants support following this incident.”

King’s recently announced all campuses to become smoke-free. Signs announcing the removal of bins due to a fire safety hazard have also been spotted across campus.

Joe Moss was unavailable to reach for comment.

An artist's impression of gravitational waves. An artist's impression of gravitational waves.

Members of the KCL Encampment attempt to force entry into the KCL alumni awards Members of the KCL Encampment attempt to force entry into the KCL alumni awards

On Tuesday 11 June, King’s College London’s (KCL) annual Alumni Awards night, recognising a small number of KCL alumni for their achievements over the...

Close-Up Shot of Peanuts Close-Up Shot of Peanuts

A huge fire has ripped through the commercial units below Elephant and Castle station, causing damage and disrupting public transport throughout central London. The...

King’s and KCLSU collude to wait a month before kicking students out of South London accommodation. King’s and KCLSU worked together to prevent residents...

The Maughan Library was evacuated this afternoon after a suspected fire. At approximately 3.00 this afternoon, sirens began to sound across the library, informing...

The cause of the blaze is rumoured to be fish sticks. A fire started at Block Two of Stamford Street Apartments this Tuesday. The...