Going underground: 5 on-screen moments featuring Strand’s abandoned tube station

NEWSFLASH: James Bond did not go to King’s. It seems obvious when you say it like that, but there is a common misconception that parts of Die Another Day were filmed in the station next to KCL.

Strand (or Aldwych) tube station entrance has become part of the College landscape but the underground is a popular filming location and has been transformed to depict countless versions of London.

Here are the best picks from the station’s glam abandoned life.

1. Sherlock – The Empty Hearse (2014)

via: http://221beemine.tumblr.com/

Benedict Cumberbatch does seem to get around King’s.  Scenes for The Imitation Game were filmed in the Maughan Library earlier this year and the climax of the much-awaited third series of Sherlock was filmed in Aldwych.

2. V for Vendetta (2006)

via: http://weburbanist.com/

Staying on the theme of dramatic reunions and explosives, Aldwych also played host to V for Vendetta, providing a suitably stark setting for a doomed love affair.

3. The Edge of Love (2008)

via: https://dtsft.wordpress.com/tag/the-edge-of-love/

Doesn’t the station scrub up well! Aldwych was transformed into part blues bar, part bunker, hosting Kiera Knightly in The Edge of Love.

4. Atonement (2007)

via: geographicalimaginations.com

It’s Keira again! Aldwych was really used as an air raid shelter during the Second World War, as Ms Knightly knows only too well.  The dramatic flood at the end of Atonement is a massive dampener (geddit? I know it’s pour) on the end of Joe Wright’s war romance.

5. Tomb Raider (1998)

via: tombraiders.hu

Okay, so we know this isn’t a film, but still, pretty cool. The station isn’t only popular in film and television.  A gamefied version was created for Tomb Raider III – check those graphics, phwoar.

'Legally Blonde' cast members line up within a dance, hands on each others' hips, and leaning forward.

Staff Writer Anwesh Banerjee reviews King’s Musical Theatre Society’s ‘Legally Blonde,’ which played at the Greenwood Theatre from 25th to 27th April, 2024 When...