KCL men’s badminton thrash Queen Mary in Olympic venue

Roar News / Johnny Tam

KING’S men’s 2nd badminton team had the rare privilege of competing in an Olympic venue last week, facing a Queen Mary team in Stratford’s Copper Box. 

In a fantastic setting, the King’s team played superbly to gain a 7-1 victory.

Roar News / Johnny Tam

In the venue, used two years ago for Handball and Modern Pentathlon Fencing, Kishen Patal and Matt Chan both played some excellent singles to give King’s a 2-0 lead early on.

These results were matched by the doubles pairs of  Pally Kumar and Alex Lam, and Jaakko Heiskanen and Nayan Patal, with two wins by 21-19, 21-16, to put King’s on the brink of victory just halfway through.

Roar News / Johnny Tam

Despite this early success, after the match, Captain Patal said he personally had found it “difficult to adjust at first to playing in such a cavernous arena of 9,000 seats”. However, he did say that it had felt prestigious for the King’s team to be able to play in a world-class setting.

Kumar and Lam secured the victory soon after with a comfortable win, while Heiskanen’s net skill alongside Patal’s explosive smashes, brought King’s up to six victories on the day.

Roar News / Johnny Tam

Queen Mary were on the ball in the penultimate singles match, but needed three sets to beat Patal. Chan ensured the day ended on a high, edging out a tight final match 21-18, 21-19 thanks to some impressive defence.

Roar News / Johnny Tam

Patal also said after the game that he was impressed with the team’s new players, and hoped it would be a strong season, as the team aim for promotion this year.

An artist's impression of gravitational waves. An artist's impression of gravitational waves.

Members of the KCL Encampment attempt to force entry into the KCL alumni awards Members of the KCL Encampment attempt to force entry into the KCL alumni awards

On Tuesday 11 June, King’s College London’s (KCL) annual Alumni Awards night, recognising a small number of KCL alumni for their achievements over the...

Close-Up Shot of Peanuts Close-Up Shot of Peanuts