Fashion & Lifestyle

Why we love awards season!

By Lauren Clark

HELLO awards season. Or those first three months of the year that failed to get the Christmas-and-its-glitz are over memo, and the period when we feel doubly inadequate on our New Year cabbage soup diets as images of genetically perfect celebrities are beamed around earth. It may all be in the name of occasionally high-brow, artistic creativity, but as the hoard of best and worst dressed lists indicate, all the drama is in the fashion, or lack thereof. Minimalist ruled on the red carpet in 2013 as stylists accepted that less really was more. Bright, block colour dominated, with clean, graphic lines working a treat – anything too fussy or complex appearing tragically outdated. The Oscars and BRITs may be yet to take place, but here is Roar Fashion & Lifestyle’s pick of the hot and the horrendous from the ceremonies so far…

BAFTAs

Best- Sarah Jessica Parker in Elie Saab –

Working the tricky jumpsuit trend like only an SATC girl can.

Best- Laura Bailey in Roksanda Ilinic –

Making bright colour look so au courrant and feminine.

Worst- Thandie Newton in Louis Vuitton –

Darling, you are not a Spanish flamenco dancer.

Grammys

Best- Rihanna in Azzedine Alaia –

The singer looking fairly classy for once.

Best- Alexa Chung in Valentino –

Doing it for the Brits with effortless chic.

Worst- Katy Perry in Gucci –

No one needs to see that much cleavage, not even Russell B.

Golden Globes

Best- Kerry Washington in Miu Miu –

Retaining that old school Hollywood gamour.

Best- Thandie Newton in Giles –

Proving that hemlines don’t have to be floor-length to make an impact.

Worst- Michelle Dockery in Alexandre Vaulthier –

Michelle you may be Lady Mary, but this is not the set of Troy.