“What’s Your Blood Type?” – Event By We Are Donors KCL

Picture of the NHS Blood and Transplant team, taken at Strand Campus on 5 March 2024

On 5 March, the second annual “What’s Your Blood Type?” event, organised by We Are Donors KCL, took place at The Shack on Strand Campus, in collaboration with KCL Women’s Football Club.

The event saw the society joined by professionals from NHS Blood and Transplant, who conducted free finger-prick tests to identify blood types and answered questions on the process of blood and organ donation.

Events like “What’s Your Blood Type?” are particularly important for finding potential donors with rarer blood types, whose blood is often in short supply at NHS blood banks.

Ratified by KCLSU only this year, We Are Donors KCL is a new student society established to promote blood and organ donation at KCL. Speaking to Roar, Natalie, Events Coordinator at We Are Donors KCL, explained why advocating for blood and organ donation at university is so important:

“Basically, students are lazy. Lots of people want to donate but they don’t know enough about it. We’re here to teach people.”

She also spoke about the mission of the society:

“Our society has two aims. One is to promote blood and organ donation on campus. We also have a second aim, which is to go to local schools and deliver talks on blood and organ donation to the school children.”

If you missed the event on 5 March, We Are Donors KCL is holding a second “What’s Your Blood Type?” event from 10am to 4pm on 8 March in The Shed, Guy’s Campus.

To learn more about We Are Donors KCL, follow this link.

Turnout-related drops in drink prices at the Vault and Guy’s Bar during the 2024 King’s College London Students’ Union (KCLSU’s) elections led to total...

News Editor Imogen Dixon reports on this year’s London Varsity rugby matches. The final fixtures of the 2024 Varsity season followed the confirmation of...